cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated with O2 chat - data roaming issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never been so frustrated with a company! 

I have tried several times to use the 'Chat' service to solve an issue I have with data roaming charges while I was in Croatia. Unfortunatelty, I now see this board as my last resort to try and get the issue resolved. I am hoping an O2 representative will contact me.

While in Croatia I turned on my data to take advantage of the O2 travel data for 1.99 - as I have done several times. I received a notification to say that I had 50MB to use. At this point I had 23pounds of credit. A few minutes later I recieved a notifcation to say that I had no credit left. I recieved no notification or text to say that the O2 travel data had ceased to work and that I was being charged the usual roaming fees. 

One chat representative - Gail - said that I was charged because I went too close to a border and was not covered by O2 travel. I undertstand that this can happen. What I find inexcusable is that I was not notified or given the opportunity to turn off my data to avoid these additional charges.

I have been sent many ridiculous excuses and pieces of advice by representatives and managers through the chat service such as "If you didnt turn on your data then you wouldnt have been charged for data" and "You should use google to find out which parts of Croatia are not a part of Europe". I ask them to tell me an email address or a phone number I can contact for free if they cannot help me. They simply refuse to give me any information then end the chat. 

I find the 'Chat' option a complete waste of time for everyone involved as it does not allow issues to be resolved at all. It seems to be a way for O2 to easily dismiss a customers' issues by simply ending the chat.

I am hoping someone on here has had a similar experience that they have overcome or that someone has information on how I can contact O2 customer service without charge.

Amanda

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

This is a customer to customer forum. You can contact Customer Services on +44 3448090202 free from abroad for Pay Monthly customers.

Alternatively, you can make a complaint by following this link: http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I am a Pay and Go customer. Sorry, I should have made that clear in my original post.

Message 3 of 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Sorry, there's no free way to contact CS if you're Pay and Go. Here are the numbers:

From your O2 mobile444525p per call*
From a landline0344 8090222Standard UK Rate
From abroad+44 7860 980 202International rates†

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again. I have thoroughly researched the O2 website and as I said, this forum was a last resort. 
I have no credit because it was all drained because of the incorrect data roaming fees. 

Message 5 of 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

It won't help in your present situation but we recommend to change network selection from Auto to manual to stop the phone connecting to the strongest signal which can unfortunately be a neighbouring country especially if you are near the border or in an area of weak Croatian signal.

Your best option is a written complaint or calling customer service at a cost of 25p per call (on some P&G tariffs, cost is free). Check the cost to call in My O2.

Good luck, I hope you have a satisfactory outcome.

Message 6 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
This might sound a silly question and i now the OP's comments about using o2 travel previously and getting the text but is there any way the OP may have opted out of o2 travel prior to this most recent trip (either intentionally or by accident)? Might explain the charges?
Message 7 of 34

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144289 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
It's a possibility Nick - A quick check in "My O2" would confirm if O2 Travel was active or not......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous Are you able to check myo2 and advise? ?? At least if o2 travel was active we can rule that issue out.

Thank you
Message 9 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks everyone. o2 travel was active. I had used the travel data the day before with no problems. a chat representative has confirmed that I did connect within the o2 travel data area and was charged the 1.99. the provider changed while I was connected and I was then charged the normal data roaming fees. I received no notification or text to indicate that I was no longer using the 50MB data in the travel plan. I used 6.4MB before my credit ran out.
The chat representative told me it was not the responsibility of o2 to notify me, but the responsibility of the overseas provider. This strikes me as very incorrect.
Message 10 of 34