cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud email

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have received an email with the sender as "O2 UK". The email is about an EU law is changed so that O2 is due to refund us some money, than it asked you click here and take you to an login page where you need to input your "username" and "password".

DON'T DO IT.....

I have reported this to O2 now..

However, what concern me is that how can they get hold of my personal details and price plan and the eact amount I am paying....

Really concern me with the whole O2 security...

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There are many threads already running on here - you aren't the only one unfortunately......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 50

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Spiderman,

Sorry to hear you've seen this happening. Please see my post in the below link for some related info.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Scam-warning-received-this-email-requests-all-b...

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 3 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have actioned all you can do at this our end by reporting the phishing email.

If you know any family , friends and colleagues who are also on O2 Contracts you could let them know of this ongoing situation.
Message 4 of 50

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
Hi Spiderman,

Sorry to hear you've seen this happening. Please see my post in the below link for some related info.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Scam-warning-received-this-email-requests-all-b...

Toby, with the greatest respect I think that the official response quoted in that link is now proven to be false.

This is not a keylogger, nor is it malware on an end users machine.

The only possible way it could be either of those, is if the malware or keylogger originated from O2 servers.

No other networks have this issue. 

No banks suddenly noticing an increase in phishing.

If this was a generic keylogger then other networks at least, and banks would also be getting an increase.

Also, keyloggers do not work on ipads, chrome autofill and accounts not logged into for 6 years.

Message 5 of 50

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

HI @viridis ,

This is the info that I have at the moment and shall be providing more info when I can slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 6 of 50

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
Hi Spiderman,

If O2 are standing by this original incorrect statement then I regret that they will be in serious trouble with ICO.

This is the second serious release of data.....I think 2011 was the previous incident.....so the regulators will not be in a good mood after this latest incident, however it may have been caused.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 50

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I'll share your thoughts here with the rest of the team.

Get involved:

Message 8 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that o2 should consider restricting access to online accounts with immediate effect and forcing users to update their passwords from a secure pc or phone environment.

Damage limitation before the ICO get involved, issue large fines that we as customers end up effectively paying for.
Message 9 of 50

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think we all understood O2 would be giving out a 'party line' statement...

However, this is really no help to people whose accounts could be compromised whilst a 'party line statement' is being issued.

We have members on this forum who are immensely tech savvy (as beenherebefore and viridis have shown)

Statements such as those being made by O2 are not reassuring me at all.

A well known phrase springs to mind.'Nero fiddled while Rome burned'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 50