Did you mean: 

Foreign languages on the O2 Community

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

There have been some recent discussions regarding the use of foreign languages on the O2 Community by members from around the world. There have been some interesting views on how to manage this such as:

- Allowing OPs to be written in a foreign language and then translated by the first replier along with the advice they want to give

- To remove all foreign content. The Community Team will then contact said members to ask them to post in English

We don't want to inhibit members getting, but we also want everyone to be able to understand what they are discussing or offering advice on.

Its not an issue that crops up often at all, but its an important one so Id love to hear all of your thoughts! 

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Toby  all sounds good to me.

It could be ages before the issue crops up again. However I would be inclined to do exactly as I did last week. Particularly if it happened out of hours /late at night..... It's a 'cry for help' after all.

I would also be inclined to flag the post to the moderator indicating that I had answered in a foreign language with an added English translation...

AND....I wasn't having a go at the Latin signatures. I like them. I was just making a point.:smileywink:

(I am more confused with binary codes. Apologies to @viridis .... I never found the need for those in Nursing.

....I was more interested in DNA codes).  Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 48

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Cleoriff 

Some good points there, we'll have a little break before we have a similar discussion on DNA codes wink

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 32 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @Cleoriff 

Some good points there, we'll have a little break before we have a similar discussion on DNA codes wink

Ha......Good call @Toby  Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting thread.  I wonder how Google Translate might cope with Cornish or Sheffieldese? Examples of the latter are  -- Tintintin (It isn't in the tin!) ;  Gerrarry tergithi and weeit (you can translate that one yourselves).

Just keep your fingers cross that not too many Norn Irish folk start posting Ulsterisms!

Message 34 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Very interesting thread.  I wonder how Google Translate might cope with Cornish or Sheffieldese? Examples of the latter are  -- Tintintin (It isn't in the tin!) ;  Gerrarry tergithi and weeit (you can translate that one yourselves).

Just keep your fingers cross that not too many Norn Irish folk start posting Ulsterisms!

My Mum was a Geordie @Anonymous ...I got very used to deciphering that over the years. Awa wi yu hinny was a usual one  Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

My Mum was a Geordie @Anonymous ...I got very used to deciphering that over the years. Awa wi yu hinny was a usual one  Confused

Geordie is my favourite mainland accent/dialect - but understand only about 10% of what is said.  Love the Dorset drawl as well.  And the Scottish lilt is delightful.

Message 36 of 48

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Toby,

I think it is important to allow foreign languages on O2 because it brings the world together for personal or business use.  Especially the business implications.

Example:  China community in Manchester trades for China products direct from China.

'Ni-How' means hellow in China (Mandarin I believe.  The Government are forcing all Chinese to follow this lanugage).

'Jingli' means energy.

You see how easy it is to communicate in Chinese with a basic understanding of the English alphabet.

You could do this in many languages.

This needs to be done!

Sincerely,

J. Wahab

Message 37 of 48

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I actually see no reason why languages aren't allowed, I'm sure O2 would not be so happy if customers from other regions refused to pay bills because they were not in their language.
Google translate is quick enough and as long as we point out that English is the preferred language then it should be OK.
Imo, a moderator should never remove a post where a member has taken the time to respond in op native tongue, they should kudos it.
Message 38 of 48

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Couldn't agree more with the above comments. My second language apart from  Geordie, scouse and brummie is Thai. If a Thai person comes to England and I buy her a O2 sim card your crazy rule bars her from commenting on here. Stupid stupid!!

Message 39 of 48

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions
@jonsie wrote:
My servos language apiary croon geor die, scouse and brummie is Thai. 

@jonsie  Was the above some sort of test my friend? LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 48