cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Clarification of Community Guideline 18.2

Anonymous
Not applicable

18.2.   Please do not discuss moderation that has affected you on the public forum, as this is a matter to be dealt with individually with the community team via private message.

Acording to my reading of this it would not be a breach of the above Guideline if PMs between members of the community and the community team were copied to other members of the community by way of PM.   The "gag" applies only to discussion on the "public forum".   @Marjo perhaps could confirm this.  If it is incorrect perhaps you could cite the particular Guideline that would be applied to prevent such sharing of information.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I might be elbow-deep in pasta sauce later tonight indeed. tongue What I meant with the reference to respecting each other was more on generally sharing PM content from private discussions between 2 people, to a third person without consent. Sorry Gerry, I like to elaborate and was speaking very generally earlier. 

So, if you wish to reference PMs privately that you've gotten from the Community Team, no that is not against the current guidelines. Private messages are indeed private, but not just from the admin eyes but they are meant to be private content between the 2 parties who send to each other. I just hope that members take the context into consideration and have a think first on what you are about to share and why. Moderation instances are always privately handled, between the CM team and the member in question, and are not generally meant for a group discussion even in private, to avoid misunderstandings as situations and context can vary. However, if you get an interesting piece of advice, educational point etc. from us in a PM that you want to mention to someone else to help them out in a constructive way for example, I don't see a problem there at all.

I hope that everyone in general takes into account the guidelines and polite code of conduct when it comes to PMs as well as the public side of the forum. And maybe for our team to think about is to elaborate on this in the guidelines. slight_smile

Message 7 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

I think the only consideration is etiquette to the person sending the Pm. Ie : asking if it's ok to share a Pm.

Does that make sense.
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Anonymous

I think the only consideration is etiquette to the person sending the Pm. Ie : asking if it's ok to share a Pm.

Does that make sense.

I understand what you mean @Anonymous  - but I'd rather hear from the Communtiy Team as to whether or not copying PMs that I receive from the Community Team to other Community members is a breach of the Guidelines.   It's a simple question requiring just a "yes" or "no" answer -   but I see from another Topic that @Marjo  may be up to her elbows in Pasta  and Parmesan Cheese at the moment. Bon appetit!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous this is good material for us to consider, as you know we are currently working on updating the Guidelines to be clearer for everyone. I'm going to add my comments on that original thread soon here. But in the meantime to address your question, I think BoB touches upon a valid point actually which I think is respecting each other and being nice to each other, and that naturally encompasses the Private Message environment as well and not just the public forum.

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo wrote:

Hey @Anonymous this is good material for us to consider, as you know we are currently working on updating the Guidelines to be clearer for everyone. I'm going to add my comments on that original thread soon here. But in the meantime to address your question, I think BoB touches upon a valid point actually which I think is respecting each other and being nice to each other, and that naturally encompasses the Private Message environment as well and not just the public forum.

I really do not want this to be a protracted issue and want to make it very clear that my question relates ONLY to the dissemination of PMs between a member and the Community Team i.e. the Guidelines prohibit my discussing in public forum issues that the Team may raise with me via PM.  I would like to know if it is also a breach of the current Guidelines for me to copy such PMs to others via the PM system - that is not in"public".  I am not sure why you have introduced the matters of  "respecting each other and being nice to each other" in this context.

Message 5 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

So let's get our head around this...

PM'S are supposed to be just that...private. Admin tell us they can't or don't look at PM'S. If this is the case I see nothing stopping members from discussing content of PM'S with others? 

So just how private is private?

Message 6 of 9

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I might be elbow-deep in pasta sauce later tonight indeed. tongue What I meant with the reference to respecting each other was more on generally sharing PM content from private discussions between 2 people, to a third person without consent. Sorry Gerry, I like to elaborate and was speaking very generally earlier. 

So, if you wish to reference PMs privately that you've gotten from the Community Team, no that is not against the current guidelines. Private messages are indeed private, but not just from the admin eyes but they are meant to be private content between the 2 parties who send to each other. I just hope that members take the context into consideration and have a think first on what you are about to share and why. Moderation instances are always privately handled, between the CM team and the member in question, and are not generally meant for a group discussion even in private, to avoid misunderstandings as situations and context can vary. However, if you get an interesting piece of advice, educational point etc. from us in a PM that you want to mention to someone else to help them out in a constructive way for example, I don't see a problem there at all.

I hope that everyone in general takes into account the guidelines and polite code of conduct when it comes to PMs as well as the public side of the forum. And maybe for our team to think about is to elaborate on this in the guidelines. slight_smile

Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Marjo  - perhaps this thread should now be closed?  wink

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have previously understood that a PM should be just that and not copied or forwarded to others.
Message 9 of 9