cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook advert scam

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was on the Facebook app Last night and I saw what I thought was an article on some new smart watch, it was an advert... When I opened it Is was ask to do a survey, it asked 3 questions:,
What do you prefer, apple or Android?
Large or small screens?
And I can't remember the last question but upon selecting an answer is received the following text

FreeMsg: Thank you for subscribing to Topikoo for £4.50 per week from Tekka until you text STOP to 62442. HELP? 03332021398

I had to text STOP but it's already charged me £4.50 plus what ever the standard charge for my reply was. Anyway it was just a heads up, someone is becoming a millionaire by ripping people off.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
No that's the thing, I didn't put any details in, it was just 3 questions, none of them personal so I can only presume the Facebook app gave them my number.

Check your privacy settings here: https://en-gb.facebook.com/help/393920637330807/

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
This happened to me but it was recipe, it asked me a few questions, level of easiness, time they take etc. no option that said I was subscribing to anything, I then got a text straight away, with same as in this otribal post. I've logged it with phone pay plus. See if they can give me my money back. It's not right at all
Message 12 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

If you look at Facebook permissions for the app is frightening just how much they want access to. One of the reasons I very rarely use the phone to access Facebook. Clicking on any link whether phone or PC is a risk always. 

Message 13 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aye kerry, I've taken the Facebook app off now, I don't want it to happen again And wanted to be sure people are aware of this sort of scam.
Message 14 of 24

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Aye kerry, I've taken the Facebook app off now, I don't want it to happen again And wanted to be sure people are aware of this sort of scam.

Good decision wink

Message 15 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

The company has a terms and conditions page for that survey you took:

http://wap-uk.topikoo.com/p/13

Point 3 says you have a right to withdraw with a full refund within 14 days.

Send their support team an email and demand a refund

support@uk.topikoo.com

Also complain about them to the regulator

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/

Message 16 of 24

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Thanks for that info @Anonymous  It will be useful if we get anyone else with a similar problem wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

np @jonsie and @Cleoriff

Just an FYI I just spoke to o2 using their online chat and told them about this scam. They have refunded my £4.50. I have also text STOP to 62442 as well which is what o2 advised me to do

Still no response from support@uk.topikoo.com

I have also reported this company and number to PhonepayPlus and Facebook as spam.

Message 19 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Really surprised that it was O2 that refunded you. (you must have got live chat on a good day) wink

Anyway pleased you got the refund. (Who knows... Topikoo may also refund!) Nope...I don't think so slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 24