Did you mean: 

Extra-long threads

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

We have some fantastic threads in the community that are very long and contain hundreds or thousands of messages. These threads are really special, such as our Introduce Yourself, Wanty's Place or the Virtual Lounge.

Myself and the team are reviewing whether these long threads have any affect on community performance. So we may, at some stage, open up new versions. I've already done this a few times with the Introduce Yourself thread.

This wont be happening soon and if we don't see a benefit of closing and opening new threads, we will of courseleave them as they are. I just wanted to post this as an FYI, as these threads mean a lot to many of us slight_smile

forum meme.jpg

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Just delete off topic completely Evil

Well you and I will always disagree on that one. Not everyone can have your level of technical expertise though and a lot of off topic is fine...some isnt...but it's individual choice as to whether we contribute or not....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 24

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Or even read !
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 12 of 24

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Just delete off topic completely Evil

0scrooge.jpg

Drastic but we could all go back to Faceache LOL

Message 13 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Drastic but we could all go back to Faceache LOL

No....don't think so.....Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 24

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It would please some who want it to go back to the old days...not me I might add but they know who I refer to...

Message 15 of 24

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

My OP here is not referring to having how the off-topic is run or the off topic section itself in any way. It only relates to extra long threads and would not in any way stop any discussions.

Everyone has the choice to post anything they like in off-topic, as long as it follows our guidelines. Its entirely anyone's choice to post or read in that section :).

Get involved:

Message 16 of 24

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Personally as I'm not a frequent visitor in OT it wouldn't really effect my O2 community experience, and I'd probably not even notice if a thread was restarted/continued.

Buuuut I think we need to be fair to those who do spend time in Wanty's and what their thoughts are, and from the looks of it the majority don't want anything fiddled with.

What I would ask of those who don't want a new thread is, how often would u read back through the thread more than a few pages? And what would a restarted thread mean to you in regards to not having the previous long thread? I'm not asking to be on any particular side, in fact I'm leaning towards leaving the old one as it's what the regulars want but I'm curious as to what a new thread would mean for those wanting to keep it as it stands now.
Message 17 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As sad as it may seem I think Wanty's is an institution of the forum. Like a historic old building/pub. It was and still is a place that we can have a laugh and a giggle whilst pretending  that we were imbibing alcohol or cold drinks or whatever.......having barbeques, throwing a party, celebrating something etc etc.

Back in the day (before my time) it was started by a lass (Wanty) who worked for O2. It was also agreed (I think) it would be a mod free zone. That's not to say it isn't moderated...it is frequently.... However, it's a bit like having a place to go for a laugh without the boss 'spoiling the fun'....(No insults intended)

Personally I think it's unique. Its also good to look back (like library archives) to see past members and the shenanigans that took place

Add to that, without Wantys and the Virtual Lounge, I am sure we would have reams of off topic threads popping up discussing stuff that currently goes into these two places.

Finally...... if it ain't broke then it doesn't need fixing. Phew!!!...and on that note I rest my case M'Lud LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 24

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

If performance isn't affected guys, nothing will change. Said it right in my OP ;).

Get involved:

Message 19 of 24

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Bet you're glad you started this thread now, Toby ?

LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 24