cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone use HTML when composing or editing messages here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby @Chiara

I was wondering why the HTML facility available in the message box (other than that Lithium designed it that way).  I used to dabble in HTML years ago when I had a personal website (as part of my BT Broadband package, but they eventually withdrew that).  It is not the most user friendly language & I was surprised to see it still on offer in the Community.

When I use a quote in my replies I sometimes like to edit the quote to select just part of the message that I want to comment on.   But then it is hit or miss  as to whether my comment commences within the scope of the quote and hence will be affected by any formatting applied by HTML Tags .  It would be nice if:-

(a) there were a selective quote facility; and

(b) the end of a quote could be clearly delineated by a line so that lazy people like me know where to start inputting text that will not be affected by any preceding HTML tags.

Gerry

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Lithium will limit what can be changed as with many if these modular php setups do.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
@anticpated What is php? Do customers (O2 in this case) no longer get to determine what they want? No wonder the country is in the state it is. :0))

Gerry
Message 3 of 23

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@AnonymousThe HTML is useful if you want to quote from outside the community by means of <blockquote> </blockquote> tags and also for editing nested quotes.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 4 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aldaweb wrote:

@AnonymousThe HTML is useful if you want to quote from outside the community by means of <blockquote> </blockquote> tags and also for editing nested quotes.

Thanks @aldaweb Silly question coming up ------ Why not just use copy and paste?

Gerry

PS   Does your avata imply you are into photography?  Do you have a flickr page or similar?

Message 5 of 23

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions
@Anonymous Using the tags separates the quoted text the same as when you press the quote button in reply to a post.

You've deduced correctly that I'm into photograph though I don't have so much time for it. Most of my photos are private though if you search Flickr for my username you may find a few public ones.

Sent from my Z10
iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @aldaweb 

As regards photos if you check out my profile I have put my flickr address there.  I am not into artistic photography but there might be one or two you would like.

Regrettably my camera has not been overworked in recent times but maybe I will dust it down and try to get out and about more in the weeks to come. 

Have a good weekend.

Gerry

Message 7 of 23

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Who knows? Scones anyone?

Message 8 of 23

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

PHP is a method of dynamically scripting a web page. Essentially a PHP file is sent from a server, it creates the relevant HTML for the page. This is how, everybody's web page is individual to them. <?php echo "<p>Hello World</p>" ?> would output a normal HTML statement. 

Out of curiousity I tried to find out more about Lithium. It is a centrally served service and can be customised by the website hosting their forum. So O2 will have less overheads. It's not clear what type of server it uses however it will be PHP or ASP - with PHP being a less expensive option to lease.

Message 9 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:

Who knows? Scones anyone?

I'll have a scone - warm, dripping in butter but no jam thank you slight_smile

apologies for going off subject, but answering anticipated's question, as I thought, with a smile

informative thread guys, from someone like me, who is learning all the time from O2C

:womanhappy:

Message 10 of 23