cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delaying activation of SIM/account

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I've just ordered a new phone on PAYG with O2, but I've just discovered that I still have substantial credit with my old provider that I need to use up.  

Can anyone confirm that my O2 billing will only commence once I activate the SIM, even if that is 7-8 weeks after receiving the handset?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If it's a PAYG phone you won't get a bill for usage?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

You will be billed for the phone itself. I think your top up will depend on whatever P & G tariff you took, but if you don't put the sim in the phone it can't activate. Maybe someone else who knows more about this can help you better, or contact customer service for clarification. http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Edit: I see that @MI5 has probably answered you regarding your sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I've just realised I've made a stupid mistake.  I actually meant Pay Monthly, not PAYG....

Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, I've just realised I've made a stupid mistake.  I actually meant Pay Monthly, not PAYG....

OK, in that case you will be billed immediately. Your first bill is due in aound 14 days time and you will be notified of it and the amount, probably tomorrow.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Best thing you can do with your credit is donate it to charity via text rather than lose the credit. As said, you will be billed straightaway as you pay a month in advance and your first bill will be a couple of pounds higher due to being charged for the first couple of days before the bill is produced.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, thanks very much.

Message 7 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous Have you ported your number from your previous provider to O2?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bambino,

I've not ported my existing number, but would do so once the new SIM is activated.

Further info:  I've received a bill for the coming month, but have spoken a second to O2's live chat, and they've said that I will be refunded from when I took out the contract until the SIM activation date.

Another update:  I've just spoken to O2's customer service, and relayed to them what the live chat personnel have told me and the O2 representative said "That's wrong, they talk a lot of crap", and also "When I told my manager, I thought that's a stupid as f*ck".

This isn't a very positive introduction to O2 so far.  How I can talk to three different customer service representatives, and still not receive a definitive answer, along with a bit of bad language along the way.

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Tip:
Never use Live Chat - either call 202 or ask here.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14