cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit card contantly declined

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I am trying to buy some data for my mobile broadband dongle and my debit card has been declined about 7 times.

Phoned bank and they see the declines and they say it is O2...was put through to bank fraud department and they say no problems on account everything is fine.

I read somewhere in my google searching that if your card is declined twice you have to wait 24 hours before trying again is this the case?

I tried various browsers same thing...

As I do not have a landline, mobile broadband is my only way of getting on the internet with my laptop, I am currently using my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot to type this and I have about 100MB left which will not last long...I really need to topup urgently.

I do not have any other credit/debit cards which I can use.

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone else who has this problem.

On the top up screen on the page you select amount of data you want there is a button that says "not a uk registered card".  click on this.  change it to Rest of the world and this resolves the problem 99.9% of the time.

Message 13 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Has this happened before ?

Have you used this method to top up before without any issue ?

Using a Uk Debit Card should be fine.

Have you cleared the browsers your using which may help.

Some type of communication is not happening between o2's systems and your banks.

Maybe if you speak to O2 by phone or via online Live Chat they can check your account for you.

Mobile Broadband Customer Service

If you are an O2 mobile customer, please call your normal Customer Service number.

If you are not an O2 Mobile customer, please choose from one of the numbers below:

Pay Monthly Mobile Broadband: 0344 809 0202
Pay & Go Mobile Broadband: 0344 809 0222
Business Mobile Broadband: 0800 977 7337

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

O2 Mobile Broadband links.

https://mobilebroadbandaccess.o2.co.uk
Message 2 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

If a card is declined after 3 attempts it is pointless trying that same card again within a 24hour period.

(Computer/automated system says no!)

Only O2 will know why they are declining which is why it is important to phone them. If that is not possible and If you are in the UK you could pop into your nearest O2 store....

EDIT: Or you could use the landline numbers given by @bandofbrothers

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
And just to add that the 03 numbers quoted are included in any minutes you may have on your mobile
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey @Anonymous

Did you get sorted ?
Message 5 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Hopefully customer service will have registered the card against the account. I think the rule still applies that a card can only be registered against three different mobiles/sims.

Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the replys.
The problem still remains o2 saying it is bank...bank did thorough test with me trying to top up with security disabled and various other tweaks but never worked they said it was o2's end the problem...after several calls to o2 which were useless I finally got through to a lady who actually seemed to know what she is doing and it has been raised with their online team and I shall hear back in about 5 days...so no internet for 5 days at least 😞
Thanks all
Message 7 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

5 days seems a very long wait as this card has already been used before....

I know you have done all you can... but I wouldn't be happy at that at all Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
That doesn't sound right to me I don't see why you have to wait 5 days either can a friend not do it with their card and you give them the money?
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to end this thread by saying I am no longer with O2...I am not waiting 5 days...and judging by O2's often confusing and conflicting customer service team I doubt wether I will even get a phonecall tbh

Went down town this morning and bought a rival companys WiFi Dongle...10GB a month and it works a treat..

So really this was a good thing as I was nervous about switching from such a reliable internet...thanks O2 you did me a favour slight_smile

Message 10 of 18