cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data useage

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear all

Its 23rd October and my Sim only contract renews on the 22nd October.  Deliberatley leaving it on Wifi only in my Fibre fed house the phone used 150Meg of data.  The O2 reps reckon its when the wifi signal is poor.  Not in my house!!!.  But they wouldnt accept that.  Any one else seeing data uesage which is exceptional??

We regularly run out of 1 Gig in 10 days.......

Chris

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous What phone are you using?

Turn off your data when you're not using it. If possible set your phone to update apps over WiFi only, and untick any apps that update automatically, so that they're not updating in the background without you knowing.

Facebook and Youtube use a lot of data

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK tried that.  The Wfi is default to 3G.  The phone is on 3G only but slave to Wifi.  So, in theory there should be no need to turn data off.  This does not happen with EE........  Are you O2???

But thanks

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23076 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

@Anonymous We are all customers here.There is no 3G or 4G if you're using WiFi. WiFi is the connection to your home router. You need to take the advice and switch off your data. If your phone doesn't receive a WiFi signal for any reason it will switch to mobile data if it's turned on. This can be completely avoided if you switch it off. It has nothing to do with which network you're using. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144349 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
As already asked, which phone?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

As asked earlier which phone are you using?

As @Bambino has stated there is no 3g for wifi it is wifi or mobile data i.e. 3g

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 6