cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer service: What things are important to you?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

We all know about customer service and how it is used as a tool within companies to interact with customers. One of the great things about this community is that the team and I can talk to many of you on a singular and personal level, either discussing things in threads, or via private messaging. We love this about the community and hope you do too.

However, I thought it would be a lively discussion to invite you to post and hear how you all feel about normal customer service (CS); At O2 and beyond in all other cases where you have to speak to an employee of a company.

- What fundamental aspects of customer service are important to you?

- Does a personal touch help, or do you prefer professional and formal tone?

- Does the perceived age or tone of a CS representative affect your mood towards the conversation?

- What things are not done among many CS teams in companies that you think are needed?

- If you had a team of CS representaitves, what would be your one 'Golden Rule'?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Your insights are always useful and you're a very smart bunch wink

cs.png

jksafelogistics.com

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Hi @Toby 

Good CS is vital in all companies.

I think that each customer needs to be dealt with on a personal level depending on their circumstances, however I know a lot of people who would rather be completely formal and stick to a script when talking to people.  That annoys me a lot.  Makes me feel unvalued.  Sometimes people reading the script sound bored (as if they have said the same thing about a hundred times).  I like having a chat with CS team.  I feel valued when they ask how I am and then sympathise with my problem.  I like it when they say 'I will do my best to help you.'

If I had my own team (God help the world lol) I think the Golden Rule would be to treat the customer as if they are a good friend.  Obviously not going OTT about their wild drunken nights out, but being nice and friendly goes a long way and even if the problem isn't resolved, it's nice to know that someone wants to help and the conversation would be ended in a friendly manner.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Toby

For me when I was a Customer Service Manager I strived to exceed the Customers expectations.

I want to be able to dial a number , connect in a reasonable time and be able to converse with an agent who either knows the answer or who is honest enough to say I'm not sure and finds out, and if a follow up call is promised that's then actioned.

A Live Chat Service where the operator online knows what is being asked and carries out whatever action is needed to attain the customers request (if possible)

I've had both good and not so good help from both avenues but I think the big thing that makes a difference if ones own knowledge and being able to steer the agent towards the end goal of achieving what is needed.

It seems sometimes that not all departments are singing from the same hymn sheet.

Communication is Key.
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sense of humour is a must for me.

Seeing people at a till, not smiling or chatty just shows a lot for the company.

Humour me and I will return basically.

Force selling and rudeness is a big no, no.

If I want something, I will approach them, I do not need them to approach me. 

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Toby 

As you will know from my other posts recently this is a fairly hot topic for me currently. I work in an industry that is very focused on customer satisfaction. In fact, we as a business, are rewarded or penalised if our customers giver either positive or negative feedback. This can be worth substantial amounts of money to our business.

What fundamental aspects of customer service are important to you?

Feeling like a valued customer and that the other person has a genuine empathy for your concern. To many companies customer service is a department and not a way of life. The two, believe it or not, do not always achieve the same goals. To me customer service is an integral part of every emplyees job function. It's built in not bolted on. The Customer Service department employee needs to be empowered to resolve all but the most tricky of situations.

I recently attended a talk by the gentleman who used to be head of the John Lewis experience. His talk was fascinating and a real eye opener into how such a large organisation can, and does, deliver customer satisfaction on what feels like a very personal level. He also talked about Random Acts of Kindness that their employees were allowed to undertake.

Does a personal touch help, or do you prefer professional and formal tone?

There has to be a balance between the two and used appropriately. A lot will depend upon the nature of the caller and it is fairly easy to establish from the style they use what would be appropriate.

Does the perceived age or tone of a CS representative affect your mood towards the conversation?

Unquestionably the tone will always affect ones mood, I suspect age less so. If you are trying to engage with someone who comes across as disinterested I suspect the conversation is never going to achieve a mutually satisfactory outcome. A happy welcoming tone will nearly always take the steam out of most irrate customers. Customers also need to accept that screaming and shouting at the CS department may make them feel a bit better but it's unlikely to help resolve the issue. My experience says that you always achieve a better result if you maintain a calm and measured response. At the end of the day the person on the phone is only an employee and it is not them personally that has wronged you.

What things are not done among many CS teams in companies that you think are needed?

The person responding to the complaint needs to be empowered to resolve the issue (limits applying). Being passed from pillar to post, one person needs to take responsibility and that is your contact the whole way through. There is nothing worse than having to retell a tale many times particularly when it is one that irritates you in the first place.

If you had a team of CS representatives, what would be your one 'Golden Rule'?

What did we learn and can improve upon from any customer experiece issues today?

I could write a lengthy tome about the whole CS issue but for me the above is a snapshot.

Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Customer Service provides the 'Shop Window' to any company. If it is poor, it lets that company down before a customer has 'entered the building' as it were.

*PATIENCE is one of the main attributes to any customer focused business

When customers come to you they may be frustrated and definitely require your help. Taking time to understand what they want and how best to deal with their individual needs is an absolute must. This really does make someone feel valued

*GOOD COMMUNICATION SKILLS An absolute must in my opinion. Last thing you need is to add confusion to any other problem your customer may have. Having this skill will also allow you to deal with different people in ways that suit that individual whilst remaining professional

* KNOWLEDGE. Of the products and systems of the company you work for. It has been obvious from posts on here, that there is a distinct lack of knowledge from some O2 CS staff. Being given wrong information is much worse than an honest 'I dont know... but I will find out for you' People don't always want to hear 'bad news' .....however, they much prefer this to being told lies....

* WILLING TO LEARN. Not everyone can know everything immediately they start in CS. If they are willing to invest time to learn and develop their skills this will show they care about getting things right...

(Ongoing training and development of staff is a must for any company if they are to flourish and be among the best.)

I could go on but wont. I used these examples from my own area of 'business expertise' ie Nursing....which of course, is the shop window of the NHS.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
For me in terms of customer service all I seek is

HONESTY AND INTEGRITY

With that the rest follows
Message 7 of 14

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous AT LAST !!............

1. Tell the truth

2. If you don't know, then don't make it up

3. If you say you're going to do something then do it.

4. If at any stage in the resolution you come up against a problem then let the customer know immediately

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
So very very true @Beenherebefore so very very true.

It really isn't rocket science.
Message 9 of 14

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Some fantastic replies here guys. Please keep posting your views and I'll reply in more detail to discuss your points further very soon slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 14