cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost of data used abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't understand why we always have to be ripped off when using our mobiles outside the UK or the EU.  I used 10767KB in the UAE on route to our holiday in South Africa and it cost me £40.  I bought a data bundle which was linked to a South African SIM card and for 1GB it only cost R149.00 (equivalent to £8.28 at R18/£1).

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Disgusting really.
That about 10mb yeah?
£40, for 10 meg.
Wow.
Message 2 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Roaming  outside of Europe is stupidly costly @£6/Mb and £1.50 per minute to both make and receive calls. With a Thai sim I pay £8/month for 3GB 4G data, 200 mins of calls and 200 texts and that's P&G...

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was told this that when I travelled down under last year that when you are passing through the UAE if your not careful they charge you loads just for accessing messages or data/wifi, a bit of a nuisance thar they can get away with that but that said, next time before you go turn mobile data off then this won't happen
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

should have turned data off and used wifi!!

at least the networks cap how much you can spend these days......helps avoid bills costing thousands

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous in my previous post I stated that in the UAE they also charge you for using the wifi at extraordinary prices so that's not exactly an option really
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous in my previous post I stated that in the UAE they also charge you for using the wifi at extraordinary prices so that's not exactly an option really

Yup thats me not reading things properly again!!  Horrified

Generally though, connecting to WiFi if at all possible is the best and cheapest option, especially outside the EU.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
It usually is but in this case unfortunately the op wasn't aware
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

what we normally do is buy a provider sim card from the country we,re in its a lot cheaper

Message 9 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

what we normally do is buy a provider sim card from the country we,re in its a lot cheaper

Yes without a doubt.

Message 10 of 10