cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer rights with mobile phones

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello..

so i have  a sony compact z1 10 weeks old on a 24 month contract which has been giving me problems by not turning on for a number of weeks.

Ive eventually managed to pop it into a 02 center today for a repair.

however they have contacted me today to let me know that the phone is not covered for repair as i have opened the phone up and tried to repair a solder joint....WTF....!!!!!!!. These phones are sealed unit and as far as im aware the backs dont come off..

After i make her aware of what phone it is she tells me there is a dent on the phone which has caused the issue.The phone is in perfect condition,, how do i know them fools havnt dropped the phone.

so as a consumer who knows full well the phone has not been tamperd with in anyway,where do i stand..they want £65 to repair it makes me so angry i want to cancel my contract this second but then the fools will have me on terms and condition. the problem is its crappy sony and there usless designs.

as of now i am so annoyed and sick of 02 and mobile phones as a whole,, you squeeze so much tech into a tiny peice of brittle plastic and expect everything to work.

i will be going into the 02 store with my father in law who is very legaly minded.

(please ignore typos and mispelled words as of this moment in time grammer is the last thing on my mind.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Ask for pictures of the issues they raise and then ask for it back and go through the manufacturer themselves.

You can escalate via http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain
Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Ask for pictures of the issues they raise and then ask for it back and go through the manufacturer themselves.

You can escalate via http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
For future reference.

If I'm sending a phone or anything else back somewhere I always take time / date stamped pictures or pit it on a newspaper of that day to have proof of condition.
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

sending pictures is not a service they provide.  

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is that what's been officially said to you.

In they state work has been carried out on the unit byban unauthorised engineer or via diy then you should have the right to have them e mailed or posted to back up their diagnosis.

Either way I'd ask for it back and approach the manufacturer.
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

they say a drop has damaged a solder joint.. now solder needs to be heated to 80c to even start melting so therefore its a manufactors fault as the joint wasnt solderd properly.. this is my argument

Message 6 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We often hear of problems with Anova, unfortunately. All you can do is ask for O2 to return the phone and contact Sony directly for assistance.
I would also escalate this also via the official complaints channel.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

and seriously do any of these 02 rep know WTF they are talking about.. incompetence on a major level..

Message 8 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's not O2 - They contract the work out to Anova.
Google them and you'll find loads of issues....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous said "they say a drop has damaged a solder joint.. now solder needs to be heated to 80c to even start melting so therefore its a manufactors fault as the joint wasnt solderd properly.. this is my argument"

Hi.

I'm assuming you did not take photographic evidence of your phone before sending it off, which would disprove the damage on the casing.

Did the O2 store staff note down the condition of the phone before sending it off ?

A drop can go both ways from no internal damage to dislodging something inside. I'm no phone engineer etc so I cannot comment.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 10 of 14