cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community device reviews: How do you approach and read them?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Good afternoon everyone and a happy Friday to you all!

One of the greatest aspects of this community is the quality and variation of reviews you create for devices; Either that you have recently purchased, or as part of Try the Tech.

They come in all shapes, sizes, tones and length which is wonderful, but we would love to ask you all how you each feel about reviews.

• What are you look out for in reviews?
  • What parts do you avoid in order to make your own mind up?
  • What kind of tone do you trust more in reviews?
  • What tips would you give to aspiring members who want to joining the ranks of amazing of reviewers here?
  • What are your opinions on review templates?

Also, the team have been having conversations around the idea of displaying your brilliant reviews around the website. To do this, we would need to use a certain template. This would however only be a structural template, not one on wording slight_smile

I'll add it here very soon.

I look forward to hearing from  you all!

Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Structural templates are fine but replacing the name of the phone and leaving everything else as per a previous review is slack and shows lack of imagination I'm afraid.
Copying a review of the internet and claiming it as your own is also a no-no which should be avoided.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Pretty much what MI5 said.
I put a heap load of effort into both reviews I did last month, the Xperia Z3 and the software features loong before actual release. One of these reviews put my device at risk, and I chose to not only do it, but also share for those interested, updating as I got each part to work.
The actual device review, I took my time and described the device in the details as I found it from personal experience. I even had to edit it later to include battery life as I felt it would be false to comment on something I hadn't seen the stats on yet.
I was quite proud of what I wrote and although I did use stock pictures from sony's site, they were 100% relevant and complimented my own words.
To use templates in my honest opinion shows a lack of connection with the device and does not show true feelings about what is being written.
Again my opinion only.
Message 3 of 9

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I try to set stay away from writing a review of specs and focus more on what's those specs add to the experience.  If something annoys me ill make it clear,  makes me feel good I'll get it down straight away.  I know these are subjective but the person can see how I feel.  

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 4 of 9

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

By way of a template I would just like to see a broad menu of the type of capabilities of the phone to check out and obviousy review. No need to quote specs at all as they are available both online and in the O2 shop pages. There is a danger of over complicating a review and people only really want to know the capabilities and various pros and cons.

A review should be unique to that phone and to the individual reviewing it and not a mish mash of previous reviews with just the model of the phone changed. Online reviews shouldn't be looked at first to see what others are saying, we are reviewing it on a personal basis.

I'm a believer in jotting things down as I notice them over a period of time and forming an impartial opinion based on my own experience. I've heard so many good things about the Nokia 1020 and was aching to get my hands on one having read other reviews on here. I was underwhelmed but that's just my personal take on the Windows system and not to detract from the reviews of others who love the phone. My review will follow in due course, time permitting but reviews are all about different opinions after all.

Message 5 of 9

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

My own reviews tend to comparitive with other devices I own or have tried and that would not fit in with a template format. I htink that the reviews have a personal touch at the moment the could also be lost using a template. I also tend to take notes which I add to as the weeks progress.

As for other users reviews, I appreciate information on day to day usage including but not limited to battery and camera performance and ease of use in the hand.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I will say something on this thread...not as a reviewer of phones but an avid reader of each and every one posted.

The in depth specs of any phone can be included as a link...not a long post which can cause any reader to skip over.

I like to read personal experiences with a lot of honesty.

I have always said my enjoyment of reading the review comes from each individuals perspective

Templates would lose that individuality I think.  Guidelines would be better. These would allow freedom for each reviewer.

To add..  that old saying 'a picture paints a thousand words'...absolutely true.

Pictures add colour, interest and a level of understanding to any review...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

A generic template would rather defeat the purpose of having a community led review. Though it has a place providing its there as a framework structure to writing a review. Although I have written epics in my time, I have seen a few reviews that haven't really provided a lot of content which is disappointing as I like to see how someone else has interacted with the phone/device in their daily use.

I do like to read reveiws that focus on some of the more unique features of the phone and how it has been used over the trial period. 

Message 8 of 9

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi guys,

Some really good points here and many to take away to talk to the team about. I'll do my best to follow as soon as possible and any potential further plans. Keep your views coming however.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 9