cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

City Link - In Administration

Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont know whether o2 use City Link or not (I don't think so) but the accountants Ernst & Young have chosen today CHRISTMAS DAY to break the news to over 2700 employees that City Link have gone into Administration.

Surely that could have waited till tomorrow. I know no day is a good day but. ...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30602326
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel sorry for the workers at City Link and I think it's shameful that this has been announced on Christmas Day. Apparently EY has been unable to secure a buyer so this has been brewing for a while. To make things even worse the majority of drivers (if not all) are self employed so could end up being well and truly screwed by this.

However I'm not surprised that City Link has gone into administration - I've never had a good experience with them. Lost deliveries, lies, rudeness and general incompetence seemed to be the order of the day. I can't help wondering if Yodel will be next as they are worse if that's possible.
Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts. I think the comment "shameful" is a politer version than anything I would use. It is nothing short of a scandal and one the government should address.

The fact that City Link has gone into Administration is unlikely to surprise anyone. It is just the way they have done it.

Ernst & Young should explain themselves.
Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't think I'd be allowed to use my first choice of words on the forum! I saw a comment from a sub contracted driver saying he's now got a liveried van (they have to buy the vehicle and pay for the running and the livery) but now he's got no job. Now what is he supposed to do? I hope the union can help its members somehow.
Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

City Link closure disgraceful, RMT union says

Recent piece from BBC News. 

"The Christmas Day announcement that parcel delivery firm City Link had gone into administration was "disgraceful", a union has said.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said it was "shocking" to have "sprung this announcement once all the Christmas deliveries have been completed".

The Coventry-based firm, which employs 2,727 staff, made the move on Christmas Eve after "substantial losses".

RMT will do everything within its power to mobilise a political and industrial fight to save the thousands of jobs that have been put at risk as a result of this shock announcement," he said.

"The way it's happened... that on Christmas Day they've done this to our members is disgraceful."

Message 14 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Absolutely shocking news. I am not surprised about it personally, as City Link were one of the very worse courier companies in this region. However, those types of issues could and should have been improved by management.

All that aside, for the workforce to be given this news on Christmas eve and Christmas day is appalling....and probably indicative of why City Link were destined for failure....Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 17

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Totally disgusting of both management and the administrators for announcing it on days they know press coverage is going to be minimal so minimising the fallout.

Whats even more underhanded is that they've been accepting business for the last 30 days knowing full well the imminent situation of going into administration (not gone under yet) on a particular date. 

And yet the Unions were oblivious to this situation? I suspect their members were not that great as the article suggests there have already been redundencies and work sub-contracted over the last couple of years.

Expect more couriers to exit the market in the next couple of years as the profit margins are getting tighter and we all don't want to pay any more for delivery.

Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

City Link: RMT demands government talks over collapse

Source : BBC News. 

Excerpt from the Link "A union has demanded "urgent talks" with ministers and administrators about the collapse of the UK parcel delivery service City Link.

The jobs of more than 2,700 staff and about 1,000 contractors are at risk."

Message 17 of 17