cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do i have to pay to have my phone unlocked? I own the phone bought in full from a store.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Are you sure the phone is locked? Information about unlocking here. If on contract you can unlock for free..

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Are you sure the phone is locked? Information about unlocking here. If on contract you can unlock for free..

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Contract phones are free to unlock but if you buy on PAYG you have to pay £15.
It's the rules I'm afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Yep, it's a rule that 02 (and other mobile operators to be fair) implement. It's odd really, as u can pay off a device in full the same day u buy it on refresh, then cancel the airtime part of the contract. But you don't have to pay to unlock the device.

It's just the way it is I'm afraid.
Message 4 of 5

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Some networks, no names mentioned, charge more than O2. I'm of the opinion that no phone, be it contract or payandgo should be locked. I can see their reasoning but I certainly don't agree with it. Going back a few years and contract phones were never locked by O2.... but then came the exclusivity of the iPhone and someone at O2 said, hold on,  we can make a shilling or two by making sure people have to stick with o2 until we deem fit to let them unlock. And now we all have to suffer and follow o2s terms. To be fair, I think o2 were the first to lock phones and the other networks decided that it was a great idea. 

Message 5 of 5