Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for texts I send

NICALLER
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Firstly I've contacted O2 and they're looking into this but thought I'd share it here and see if anyone has had the same happen them.

Yesterday, just by coincidence my 'better half' asked if I had ever used the O2 app to check my minutes, texts left etc.

I had the app for years, never really used it. Anyhow I loaded it up and saw my bill was not the usual £38pm, it rarely ever has been, usually 39-40ish. I've unlimited messages and texts but always presumed it I'd sent an MMS outside of wifi or to someone not on iMessage. Never gave it much thought before but now you can see the actual number the 'extra' texts are sent to.

So when I looked I noticed two chargeable texts (probably MMS) were sent on Friday to two numbers I don't know and aren't in my contacts.
I'm 100% sure nobody else had access to my phone and 100% sure I didn't sent the texts. Phone was sitting beside me charging the whole night.
I contacted O2 and they wouldn't tell me the name of the person who owns the account but confirmed they were O2 numbers.
They did tell me the time the texts were sent. Both at 11.30pm on Friday night. I know for sure they weren't sent from this phone.
I called both numbers, one a guy answered and said his name was 'Nick', when I tried to explain to him why I was calling he hung up, the second number was a woman and again when I tried to explain she hung up.
Frustrated I sent both numbers a text explaining again why I'd called them... One replied if I didn't leave them alone they'd 'call the police'.

I replied again sending a screen shot of the O2 app showing the number, date and cost but got no reply. Both people were English... I don't live in England and don't have contact with anyone in England.

I was the only one with access to the phone and I apparently sent two texts within seconds of each other to numbers and people I don't know. Strange.

O2 waived the cost and are investigating.

Anyone ever hear of this happening before?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

NICALLER
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Should point out the title is wrong... Should be 'Charged for texts I didn't send'
Message 2 of 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I take it you have an iPhone ?

Have you sold a previous iphone recently?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I've never heard of this happening so I hope the investigation finds out the reason. 

I know if you use either the web version or the app version of TuGo messages don't show up in the native messaging app. You don't have it installed on a shared PC?

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I have never heard of this happening but am pleased you were persistent in your investigations. It did result in O2 refunding the costs....which is rare enough. I just hope they get to the bottom of it. Personally I would be looking for a change of number. If it has happened once (or twice in this case).. it could happen again....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Where else are you signed into with your Apple id?
Ipad, computer etc?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

NICALLER
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for the replies.
Yes I'm using an iPhone, have this phone about 17 months. Give the last one to my niece and completely wiped it beforehand.
My Apple ID is used on my Mac desktop and laptop but O2 tell me these texts were sent from my SIM card.

Very odd indeed. I'm not sure how long the O2 app has been showing the number of the chargeable texts sent, it used to just say how much they cost not who they were sent to.

This may have been happening for a while, my bill have rarely been what my basic contact costs, usually a pound or two more, so this could be happening for months... Not sure what the 'end game' is though.

I'll report back when O2 come back to me.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Message 7 of 9

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any news @NICALLER ?
Message 9 of 9