cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carphone Warehouse Affiliate Masquerading as O2 - Upgrades

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone else been getting calls from this number?  0203 740 6801.  They keep 'phoning and today I had the misfortune of picking up the call.   I didn't catch the name of the company (deliberate, I'm sure) but they said they were to do with Carphone warehouse.   In a rather accusatory fashion, they told me my O2 phone/account was due for an upgrade and asked me what I was going to do about it.  I was onto them pretty quickly by asking them if they represented 02.  They couldn't answer. I then asked them if it was them I had an account with. They couldn't answer.   The very worrying thing is that they knew my name, that I was with O2 and that my O2 account was up for renewal.  I want to know where they got the information from.  Has O2 sold it, given it away or lost it?    I do feel it is a Trading Standards issue and a potential Data Protection Act issue.   A confused person might think they are talking with their current supplier and end up switching accounts to a different supplier without even realising it.   These people knew my name, who my provider is and when my renewal date is but I have no connection with them whatsoever.    Not happy!  Anyone else experience the same?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

A lot of people have been getting calls from companies claiming they can upgrade you and yes they do have your details. Once you sign up with O2 unless you opt out, you agree that O2 can share your information.

Several people complaining here:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02037406801

Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122803 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

A lot of people have been getting calls from companies claiming they can upgrade you and yes they do have your details. Once you sign up with O2 unless you opt out, you agree that O2 can share your information.

Several people complaining here:

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02037406801

I personally think this is an appalling practice. One that you should have to opt IN to... as opposed to remembering to opt out. Makes you wonder why it is still allowed..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rule of thumb is not to engage with them and upgrade that way.

Remove yourself from o2's trusted partners by ringing O2 or writing to them and add any numbers to any call blocking facility your phone may have.
Message 4 of 16

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I've had these calls. Carphone Warehouse do upgrades but it's still via them, not direct 02. I ignore that number but they still call.
iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144155 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

Write to this address requesting that you are removed from the mailing and marketing lists.
It may be too late for now but should help prevent anymore in the future.
Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
02037406801. This number has my details which were supplied by O2. It is in the contract of years ago. I opted out by text but this did not kill the calls so an irate call to O2 customer care centre, who have now assured me that these calls will stop. Why they pass on my details using small print in a contract is not unlawful, is it really a business practice that is acceptable? These numbers should be bombarded with calls to tip their call centres over the edge and let them get un-solicited calls offering services not required nor requested.
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I can see your original post is dated now but it is interesting to read as I have for several years been receiving the same type of call.  I usualiy tell them to 'go away'!

Lately the fequency of these calls has increased and the incoming number routes in from different parts of the country.  I have at present 50+ barred numbers on my phone.

I never allow my details to be shared by other companies and will be making a formal complaint regarding this matter.  Although now my details are in the possesion of interested partners I don't suppose O2 are bothered one little bit.

Regards

Bob

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 144155 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Although now my details are in the possesion of interested partners I don't suppose O2 are bothered one little bit.

O2 could give 2 hoots. I know this because I have just gone through the exact same complaint with them and all you get back is "we don't do that, so go away and stop bothering us".

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

No matter how much O2 deny it I think it's fair to say we have all seen a greater number of these types of cold calls since they changed our marketing preferences. They deny this too.

Message 10 of 16