CPW calls

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

So here we go ...yesterday and today I have had 3 calls from an unknown number

I missed two and answered one today.

It was Carphone Warehouse. The advisor knew my full name. I have never done business with Carphone Warehouse in my life. I stayed on the line as I was VERY interested to hear what he knew about me..

Basically the conversation went like this

" Is this Mrs H*******?"

Me: Yes it is

" Hi Denise, this is CPW and my name is Jason. I am phoning as I know you are due an upgrade"

Me: No I'm not and where did you get my details from?

He ignored this and went on to explain how he could offer me an upgraded phone and a new 2 year contract for less than I am paying now!!

I told him I doubted this as my phone was paid for and I was on a sim only contract.

Basically the conversation didn't go well after this!

A few questions from me (I know they been asked before)

Where did CPW get my number from? How did he know my name?

I have opted out of all marketing preferences via My O2....

Absolutely furious if honest. The number has been blocked now...doesn't alter the fact that someone has passed on my details

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
They have full access to everyone's details as they are one of o2's preferred partners.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
They have full access to everyone's details as they are one of o2's preferred partners.

I thought I had to agree to anyone having my details though Rich? I have been with O2 for years and never had a call from CPW before?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You did agree when o2 changed your marketing preferences early in the year......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Oh I see...so when they changed my marketing preferences to what O2 wanted and not what I had set as default in the original My O2...this is when all my details were passed on? I thought we spotted that quickly enough to protect our privacy ...Obviously not!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144293 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I started getting calls from them almost immediately - that's what led me to look at my settings and saw they had been changed and so alerted you and others to the issue.
Still denied by o2 though despite all the evidence presented to complaints.
Incidentally, when I added a new contract to my account they were changed again (in o2's favour) so all the spam kicked off again !

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Well I shall be having a new simo in January (so 'Jason' was correct about that!!) ...I will make sure I have a damn good look at my marketing preferences as soon as I get the new one...Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

This has always been the way with O2 and CPW, they share data bases and have done for many years irrespective of marketing preferences. This despite the 'honest guv' denials.

Message 8 of 8