cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Screen Dell Streak

Anonymous
Not applicable
My Dell Streak display is ruined, a thumb sized what looks like crack in the LCD is bleeding across the screen. The Streak was in inside my handbag, I did not drop my handbag at any more height than anyone would when putting it on the floor or on a table, I did not trap it any doors and it was not next to any keys or anything so why is it broken? So I Google the problem and find that there are others that this has happened to, these people have maintained that they also did not put any undue pressure on the screen so what is this, is it manufacturers design flaw? On one forum someone pointed out that if you run your finger across the top of a Streak on one side the screen was flush with the casing, however the other was not! I looked at mine and found exactly the same. There is someone else locally who has a Streak who I asked and his screen was slightly higher on one complete side! So this is different again.... Could the LCD be under stress when holding the Streak in landscape and say texting or something along those lines? It may have Gorilla Glass but could this be like putting a steel door on a balloon? My first experience with o2 at the shop was as predicted on the internet not good, not interested in anything I had to say and despite the phone being pristine,I was quote as "physical damage" and that was how it was to be sent back. According to my consumer rights I should be offered a "loan" replacement handset of the same ability, I was offered a crappy baseline Nokia with little or no internet capability despite my paying £40 p/m for all the bells and whistles, they had the cheek to want me to pay £25 deposit for this pleasure. The manager told me I was lucky to be offered even this as the provision of any phone was at o2's discretion. I also have to point out that the nice lady on o2 customers service line, the two assistants and the manager appeared to have no product knowledge of the Dell Streak, I know its relatively new but seriously, what's the point of having a shop if you dont know how your products work? I await my repair reply due in 5 days with interest. I have the names of all the Telefonika Board Members and email / location addresses, they will all be hearing from me if this does not go well. I cant believe how quick my first experience with o2 has been soured so soon after taking out a premium contract. I was made to feel like a criminal in the shop, at best an annoying inconvenience. I never had this problem with Vodafone customer services from 1994 to 2001 and then Orange 2001 till last month. Even my sons payg handset was replaced without quibble with a similar screen issue last year when certain Nokias had potentialy but yet to be proved screen issues. I have 23 more months of this...sigh..... sorry for ranting, where else am I going to be able to do this!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I sent a complaint as per my post earlier but two days before their call back, I got a call saying that there was a new Streak ready for me and free of charge! So someone believed my comments about it being a QC issue.
So, despite a #### shop experience I have nothing but praise for the repair boys at o2. Oh and I was given another battery (worth £50) and a goodwill gesture of a months contract payment for the misery I experienced in the shop. I have insurance but didnt have to invoke it, so you guys should get the same treatment eh?! Good luck and go for it. I have just upgraded my firmware to 2.1 Eclair and its twice as good as it was, faster and with the frankly amazing Swype keyboard interface added, the Streak is a very credible challenge to the iphone finally. Peeing my pants waiting for 2.2 Froyo and 3.0 Gingerbread....

I'm pleased for you Disco, I have sent my phone off to be evaluated now and have written a complaint and CC'd the CEO into it.

I did get an email from someone at the CEO Office saying they wiull call me soon, but nothing yet. However your experience gives me hope!

For everybody else, stand your ground when people in the shops tell you its accidental damage. Tell them that there are plenty of other users on the 02 forum with the same problem and see what they say. I managed to keep my cool in the shop, but very nearly lost it when her offered me a cr*ppy Nokia as a replacement phone... I'll post back when I have an update.
Message 11 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem too.
Last night I was talking with my mobile and after I want to finish my call I suddenly find out my dell screen looks like crack.
but it was completely fine when I answered the phone.
I just searched O2 site and internet and found out here that many other customers have the same problem.
I was really careful about my handset and it was not dropped or even touch any thing, it's always in a case, which you can't even find a 1 millimeter scratch on it.
If anybody knows where I have to go or who I have to write to please let me know.
Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update: I came hoem from work with a package waiting for me and an answerphone message from the O2 CEO Office. They had sent me a replacement phone, along with new battery and cover. It looks like they can't replace the screens in the 7 days they promise to get the phone back to you. The guys at iFixit, have taken the Streak apart and found that the lcd is glued onto the front glass, making it much more difficult (and expensive) to replace. I got no compensation like Disco, but to be honest I am more than happy with the end result. Plus the lady (Debbie) I was dealing with at the O2 CEO Office was very helpful and considerate.

sh_nima: If you bought the phone in store then take it back to them. You don't have to take it back to the store you purchased it from, any 02 store will work. Explain what happened and stand your ground when the staff say that it will cost you to fix as it was accidental damage. They will take the phone off you and send it away for evaluation. It is also worth making sure that they put in the descripton of the error that it wasnt your fault and that other users are having the same problem. When you get back home email a complaint to the complaints review service ####. Make the complaints review team aware that you have cc'd them in. You should get a call back pretty quickly.

Let us know what happens, good luck.
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same issue and have been fobbed off by O2. Can any one give me the complaint dept details so I can write to them with my complaint.

Thanks
Message 14 of 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Read above it's there.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I looked at mine and found exactly the same. There is someone else locally who has a Streak who I asked and his screen was slightly higher on one complete side! So this is different again.... Could the LCD be under stress when holding the Streak in landscape and say texting or something along those lines? It may have Gorilla Glass but could this be like putting a steel door on a balloon? My first experience with o2 at the shop was as predicted on the internet not good, not interested in anything I had to say and despite the phone being pristine,I was quote as "physical damage" and that was how it was to be sent back.
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had only had my dell streak for 5 days when the screen broke being me and selling insurance for a livin a 8didnt bother taking it but i was like s**t this gonna be an expensive fix i phoned o2 who then forwareded me to dell who then hung up on me before i got to speak to them i was like dam so i called o2 back up lied thro my teeth n said dell said there was a fault the nice man on the phone said we shal have a replacement to you between the hours of 9 and 5 heres hoping i also get to keep the battery so not all bad.
Message 17 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
only reg to say that my dell streak also suffered from a broken screen , not the outter gorilla glass, phone was in pocket(thigh, jeans), not dropped, bumped,abused. business contract phone, replaced next day via o2 phonecall (v good service tbh)
Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Annnnnndddd Another one!!!!!
Just took my streak out of my jacket pocket, a very heavily duck feather lined and padded pocket to find that my lcd screen appears to be cracked/broken under an immaculate looking piece of gorilla glass. The phone hasn't been dropped or had any heavy pressure applied to it. One google search informed me that this is a very common problem indeed with people having mixed results in their dealings with O2 and Dell.
Can anyone tell me what seems to be the best method for getting my phone replaced? I'll be visiting my local O2 store tomorrow and doing my best to stay calm but I'm not sure how well that will go!!
Yet again another massive manufacturing floor that seems to be getting the cold shoulder from both O2 and Dell!!
Message 19 of 19