cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Ripped Off?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been with O2 for many years as a pay as you go customer. After receiving a text message from O2 I started to investigate going over to a pay monthly (contract) and eventually ordered a phone on contract on the 23rd.

The O2 site stated that as I was not “mainland UK” delivery make take longer but also stated that the contract will start on the date of the delivery (or the date of the first attempt to deliver) which seemed fair to me.

The following day (24th) I received a text message stating that the new phone would be delivered “within 72h hours from tomorrow” (the 25th).

On the 25th I received an e-mail stating “Your O2 bill is ready” and when I viewed it I was shocked to find out they were charging me for a service BEFORE they had even despatched the phone which was due to be delivered in 3 days time!

I went on-line to query this only to be told “We bill you from the connection date.”  I explained that I have not got the phone, I do not expect to take delivery for a further 3 days, and the phone cannot be “connected” until it I receive it and insert the SIM card. I stated that is was not right to be charged for a service I cannot use to which the response from O2 was “I understand that you've not yet received your phone” – “But to be very honest with you, this is a normal procedure.” The operator further stated “our customers might receive the first bill even before the phone is ready to be delivered to our customers” before abruptly terminating the conversation

I find it amazing that O2 openly admit to ripping customers off by charging them for a service they can’t use. It is worrying to think about the scale of this rip off if they are doing this to all their customers!

I have now cancelled my order (after being hung up on once and a couple of rather confusing calls). O2 have not only not managed to convert me from “pay & go” to “pay monthly” but have totally alienated me (and my wife who was also looking to change) and I we will be looking to change to another provider.

I would like to know how O2 justifies this dishonest behaviour and shall be talking to Ofcom, Trading Standards and Watchdog.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Strange, you usually get a refund on telephone orders upto the point you receive the phone. The phone is activated immediately so that people who buy in store can use it immediately and I've never known anyone not to get a bill credit in your situation....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

You have every right to complain. I presume when you say you queried this online you did it via Live Chat. They are less than useless when it comes to account enquiries. You should have called Customer Service and had it resolved over the phone, which it probably would have been. As you've already canceled, it's a moot point now.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep i certainly feel i am being fleeced for a fortune. I do not like the 24 month

contracts as i believe that most mobiles will not last that long. Anyway been an o2 customer 

for over 10 years. Now BBM is excellant for me as i can blether to my pal in canada.

So new phone needed. I got the z10 but could only get it on the 24 month plan.

The phone is costing a whopping £589.99 in total. Once i get money i shaol try and clear it.

Other shops do 12 month contracts for around £50 per month. I spoke to a geezer on the chat thing and he offered half price line rental. Woo hoo thought i. Eh but only for a month. And they never gave me it either lol.

Just about time to stop showing loyalty to a company who rob you at every chance they get.

I could now buy a sim free z10 for around £150. Talk about feeling annoyed.

It seems to me to be all take take take. And very little give. Anyway complaint over.

Oh and hello from edinburgh.

Toodle pip

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Hiya Jim, at least you have a 2 year warranty to fall back on if needed wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

No one forced you to buy the Z10 as soon as it was released. As you say, the phone is now £150 sim free. All phones eventually drop in price after the initial frenzy of people desperate to be the first to own one. Had you waited, you you could have bought it now and taken a monthly sim only contract, which would have cost you a lot less in the long run, and you wouldn't be stuck in a 24 month contract.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 6