Did you mean: 

Beginners Guide: Just Got A New Phone?

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

All phones are different but here are a few basic steps for the novices:

• When you buy a phone make sure (if it is new from a shop) that it is sealed.  Check the contents of the box right away.  Most phone boxes or instructions state what you should get in the box.  If you purchase your phone from an unofficial supplier, for example from a private seller on eBay, check it very carefully when you get it.  My sister once get an iPhone from eBay and it was stuck in restore mode and we tried everything to fix it.  In the end we took it to the Apple store and they opened it up and they said that there were non-Apple components inside the phone and therefore they were unable to repair or replace the phone. Luckily, we raised a case on eBay and got a full refund.

• It is always advisable to let the phone have a full charge (even when there is some battery on it).  It is usually best to leave it charging overnight.  By not giving it a full charge, you are not allowing the battery to work as it should and it may not last as long as it should.

• Ensure you have the correct tariff prior to using your phone.  This can easily be done by logging into your O2 account.  If it is incorrect, for example you have bought a Blackberry but you do not have a Blackberry bolt on, then you should change it online or call O2 and they will change it for you.  If you do not have the correct bolt on then you may incur unnecessary charges for calls, texts and internet.  If you purchased a phone to use the internet a lot (more than you used on your last phone) then be realistic with the tariff that you choose because if you go over your data limit, you will incur daily charges or you will have to get another data bolt on.

• If you are unsure about how to use your new phone, pop in to your local O2 store, do a livechat with O2 or ask the community.  No matter how big or small or how silly the question sounds, someone will help you.  It is pointless having a new phone and not being able to use it properly.

• Back up your phone - in the event that your phone gets damaged, lost or stolen, you should have a back up so you don't lose any data.  Also, some phones have a security wipe so that if it is lost or stolen, you can wipe the phone by logging in to your computer.

• It is a good idea to get mobile phone insurance.  O2 do mobile phone insurance but it is always wise to shop around.  Some banks do it, such as Natwest, if you have a Select Account then you pay £10 per month and the mobile phone insurance is included.  Other banks provide the same insurance and some banks do not charge you extra.  I have also used compare websites to look for the best mobile phone insurance.

• Be careful with your phone - don't wrap it in cotton wool and avoid using it, but also do not think that it is indestructible!  Testing peoples theories by purposely dropping the phone or hitting it with a hammer is a silly idea. 

• No matter how urgent your text, call or Facebook update is, don't have your phone out in the rain.  Most insurance companies do not cover you if your phone has water damage.  Using a case for your phone is a wise option. 

• Finally - you can now enjoy your phone! slight_smile Use it to the full.  Try out the features.

P.S. if you have any issues with the phone, for example it is not doing something that it should, then return it to the shop that you got it from ASAP for warranty purposes.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice piece Gemma,

When buying any phone off auction sites i would advocate using one of the many online services to check the phone is legit. Ones such as checkmend for example.

Battery calibration is something i perform once a month. ie let the battery deplete to just less than 10% and then recharge fully,

Most networks now allow an account holder to increase certain factors of their tariff so if a current data allowance for example does not suit then this can be looked at, normally at a cost. Most networks are now offering pretty decent data allowances. Unfortunately payg still typically sits at 1gb max. Networks such as Giffgaff do give unlimited 3G data.

If a person intends to tether a mobile device and laptop/tablet via a Hotspot then data allowances certainly are something to carefully consider as allowances are used much fatser due to the rich content a tethered device uses.

Places such as YouTube also offer good tutorials and help sections for most issues as well as communities such as this and manufacturer based communities such as Apple and Nokia for example.

Insurance companies are now including water ingression policies which is good. also take into account their are more and more water resistant phones now becoming available.

I always use a case as most phones are slippery in the hand and thus they provide grip for me. Their are rugged phones such as the JCB models amongst others available and some cases such as the otter Box defender series which would probably protect a phone through a nuclear winter. 

If a person is out of a cooling off period for faulty handsets then I would always suggest going back to the manufacturer for assistance as they know their hardware and software best.

Message 2 of 3

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Insurance companies are now including water ingression policies which is good. also take into account their are more and more water resistant phones now becoming available.

Oh I didn't know that - i'm sure that will help a lot of people - like my sister who accidentally dropped it down the loo.

Message 3 of 3