cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are O2 falling behind with 3G? they are losing customers.

Frogger
Level 3: Thinker
  • 45 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
For a few years, I've been on an annual lads week out on a narrowboat. Four of us have smartphones which we use for navigation, and finding places to eat and drink. We understand canals are not the highest priority for coverage, but around the Midlands coverage has been reasonable. This year we were in Berkshire and Wiltshire on the Kennet and Avon Canal. We travelled through Newbury, Kintbury, Hungerford, Pewsey, All Cannings, Devizes, and Seend. Of course in in Newbury (Home of Vodafone) coverage of 2G and 3G was excellent on O2, but for the rest of the journey 3 of us with O2 , were looking at 'No Service' or a 2G signal that wouldn't even support a call of more than a minute. I am an ex O2 employee and have been humiliated by the fact that the one of the crew with Three mobile service had an almost consistent 3G data service, with speeds up to 10 MBPS. The 3 of us with O2, had to use Three's phones tethered hotspot just to check emails. We went into a pub in Pewsey where on asking for the WiFi password, got the response of 'Oh you must be O2 users then' that sums up the local peoples attitude to O2. All 3 of us are not in contract with O2, and 2 of us have already decided to swap to Three for a reliable service as they also have problems at there home locations. I will try to stay loyal to see if O2 can up it's game, but it is difficult, when my O2 3G service at home has dropped out and O2 networks say they cannot gain access to the base station to fix. What hope have we for a good network when customers are leaving in quantity for a network that actually delivers. I know about the promises of upgrades in next 3 years, but it is a long while to wait, if it ever happens. can anyone give good reason why we shouldn't jump ship now.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I've been wondering what's going on with 3G where I live. Over the past few months it has become less reliable and I'm not sure why. I tried telephoning O2 today, alas none of the multiple choices suited my question type - which means it would probably be beyond them anyway.

Maybe I'll try again...if I get more time.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
It makes sense to go with a Network that provides good stable signal.

Loyalty doesn't get you signal. 😔
Message 3 of 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

An all singing dancing smartphone is just an expensive mp3 player if you can't get a basic 3G signal. Move to a network that provides what you need, no brainer really slight_frown

Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
1 - Signal
2 - Signal
3 - Signal
4 - Signal
5 - Signal.........
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 17

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

OK I've got another SIM here I think. So will be in the lab conducting an experiment. I just spoke to someone at O2 and they think it may be my handset antenna which I'm hoping it's not. Surely if it works with another SIM better it must be the network. Anyway I'll let you know.

Message 6 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Putting your sim in another phone and comparing signal levels would confirm if handset fault or not.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 17

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Well a 3 SIM, was giving me a basic HSPA and HSPAP signal over a ten minute period. I can only speculate that it would maintain this is in most public areas. Someone I know has 4G with 3 and they're signal seems to very strong.

I asked if any work being done in the postcodes I enquired about and was told no. I checked myself and my local mast and other mast in the other area are both due for maintenance.

So is my handset at fault.....moot point, however all my bones tell me it isn't.

Granted I do get a 3G/H signal most of the time however whenever I am located higher up geographically or lower the signal ratio seems to drop. Maybe I am imagining things...maybe I should have bought an iPhone cause they rock.....etc...etc....

It's probably worth mentioning I don't have another phone to test this.....unless.....I search around for one.

Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
With 3 mobile i get full signal but there internet dont go past 0.30mbps untill 1 am in the morning it works....
I rather stay with O2...
I dont like there Traffic Sense system cus i dont even use that much data any more only about 500mb a month so when i need to use it and i cant that really annoys me...
Message 9 of 17

anticpated
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

What you save in the tariff cost between other companies is definetly compromised if your data is traffic managed then. Many broadband companies do this, however I wouldn't like it on a mobile.  

It's a bit ambiguous  to make claims of 4G service coming soon and suggest there's something wrong with your handset. My Samsung Galaxy S2 had moments of non-connectivty as well as my Nexus S. No network is perfect however I am no newbie beginner with this sort of thing.

Message 10 of 17