Did you mean: 

App review: TIDAL HIFI

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

tidal-share.9d1c0023.png

2015 was definitely the year of a higher awareness of quality streaming services. With the rise of Apple music, a lot more customers around the globe woke up to the benefits of millions of tracks available on the fly with no extra cost on top of a usual £10 per month.

In the last year "Hi-Res Audio" has been a buzz word for many audiophiles looking for the most sublime listening experience. Hi-Res Audio allows customers to listen to the tracks they want, at the best possible quality, leading this new trend, is Tidal HiFi.

TIDAL is relatively new to the world of streaming audio, following such services as Spotify, Google music and Qobuz, they had big footsteps to follow and have grown to become the leader in lossless audio streaming due to many positive policies towards both consumers and artists...

A group of 16 artists spanning multiple generations (Madonna, Calvin Harris, Beyonce, Rihanna etc) actually own Tidal, with Jay-Z being a major player in its rise after his purchase of parent company Aspiro.

No other streaming service pays higher royalties to the artists themselves, in fact it is "rumoured" that artists get 3x as much royalties from Tidal than Spotify.

Customers get early access to tickets, albums, and tour info through the apps social pages connected to artist profiles.

Screenshot_2015-11-30-12-17-51.png

The app itself 

Having installed the Tidal app you are required to create a membership (even if you are not ready yet to commit to subscribing you can still browse the vast catalogue) and then you are launched into the main page.

Screenshot_2015-11-30-19-40-41.png

From there you can see the latest music videos, latest albums, presale ticket exclusives or just search as you wish for desired songs. You can also hit the menu button at top left for more featured pages and options..

Screenshot_2015-11-30-13-39-38.png

What's new is exactly that, new material added to the catalogue, 

TIDAL Rising is recommended artists from around the world which the app considers to be like your taste.

TIDAL Discovery is a promotion of some of the best unsigned artists from around the globe, giving them a little royalty and exposure into a vast saturated market.

Options and settings..

The app allows you choose exactly how you want YOUR music delivered. Different qualities are available for WiFi, mobile data and download, if in a poor connection, you can also set for streaming optimisation to balance you bandwidth. You can also set your download location for offline play, word of warning though, the HIFI quality songs are very large and will quickly burn through a data allowance....as well as smaller storage spaces..

Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-51-28.png

Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-51-34.png

The Quality..

This is what it comes down to.. How you actually hear your music. I am being honest when I say I was actually very impressed with the music quality outputted to me headphones, while it is not the full Hi-Res quality of 24bit 192kHz it is the true CD equivalent of 16bit 44.1kHz (that being 99% of what we can hear anyway..) luckily for me the Xperia Z5 will fill In any blanks and make it just that little punchier anyway (tbh, I noticed no difference) the sound was definitely more immersive than mp3 or the like of compressed audio, and every tone of voice and hit of a cymbal was much more richer than compressed audio you find on streaming services such as Apple music. It comes at a cost higher than most streaming sites and apps, at 19.99 a month for the HIFI package it's down to the user if they feel they want that little bit extra for the jump in price, for me it really is a fantastic experience and worth the months free trial just to decide for yourself. But for those that like the catalogue and layout, you can downgrade to a premium account for 9.99 a month with the same catalogue at 320kbps AAC quality, which to be honest is perfectly comparable to any other service.

Layout

Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-51-20.png

The layout is very simple and skins itself on tones used in the album art for the track you are currently listening to, the only thing apart from the pause, forward and backward buttons is a little icon letting you know if you are in hifi mode or not, and the top menu, allowing you to add the track to playlists, share with Facebook or make available for offline play, very simple, very nice. It also has lock screen controls on Android allowing quick access to controls, without unlocking your handset.

Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-52-30.png

My thoughts 

With my storage getting eaten up by 4k videos, I've been getting nervous when I want to add a new album to my device, at 1GB+ per Hi-Res album, storage is becoming valuable real estate even with large capacity cards. With Tidal I now have the freedom to take high quality music with me, without the need to worry about moving or deleting files just to fit a new album in, with exceptional quality and packages for most budgets, TIDAL will no doubt continue to dominate the new emerging market for high fidelity music on the go.

TIDAL is available in the Google play store now.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Another impressive review of something a bit different this time, thank you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122130 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Now this as another excellent review but if honest I don't stream music so I probably wouldn't use it....However my sons would be interested and I still have questions

*As it's new can you stream music from any/all musicians or is it selective?

*I see you can buy tickets for gigs etc...is that any or all gigs (for instance if I wanted to buy Glastonbury tickets could they be purchased through this outlet?)

Sorry to sound dumb but this is new to me...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
1, most artists are on it, I believe it has 25 million + (25 million last, probably more now)
2, I think it's more to do with artists or events they have a link to, with a fair few A list artists owning it, I can see a fair few presales tbh, possibly festivals if those artists are headlining... As of this morning you could get Rihanna world tour tickets for global venues 3 days before they are for sale officially.
Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122130 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Sounds damn good then...I will make sure my boys are aware of this...

Once again though congratulations on another stunning review....WITH PICTURES.....as ever...

Great...well done mate Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Another impressive review of something a bit different this time, thank you.

Can I just say you have such high standards which as MI5 has said above  ^  ^  ^  well you impress me M'Ld

& I can understand the music stuff ... with superb pics as always

Cat 

Message 6 of 13

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Lovely job @viridis as ever slight_smile

Its the first thing I've really read about TIDAL!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 13

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@viridis what headphones are you using with the app? Are they ones that support the HiFi quality?
Message 8 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122130 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@viridis Wanted to ask....did you get tickets for Rhianna? I see she is on at the Ricoh....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 13

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
@PhoneChanger yes I'm using Hi-Res headphones, MDR-NC750 with noise cancellation.

@Cleoriff, guttingly, no. Not got budget for it this time of year, damn kiddies Xmas n that
Message 10 of 13