Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Pay now available in the UK

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions

Android Pay is now available in the UK, the application can be downloaded from the UK Google Play store. I have downloaded and sucessfully added cards from my providers.

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12054 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1123 Solutions
Nice.
My main concern with this (and tap to pay cards) is security.
Does the app ask you to enter a pin to use it, or scan a fingerprint (if scanner on phone), or some other method?
Or is it just a case of scan the NFC chip?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 46

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
PRAISE BE, FOR ANDROID IS NOW MODERN.
Message 3 of 46

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Good to know @PhoneChanger I'm going to download and give this a try later today. Thanks for sharing. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 46

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3671 Solutions

I already had the app on my phone and it updated this morning.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 46

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

I think it does indeed ask for a fingerprint/pin @gmarkj. I know Samsung Pay definitely does; just waiting for it to arrive now since it's backwards compatible with older card terminals

Message 6 of 46

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3671 Solutions

@gmarkj The phone needs to be unlocked in order to use the app, either by using your fingerprint if your phone has a fingerprint scanner, or by PIN. It's one of the security features, should your phone be lost or stolen. As far as I'm aware, as with contactless cards, there is a monetary limit on each purchase as well.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 46

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@PhoneDoc Visa has already said that they will not be supporting the mag stripe service offered by Samsung Pay in the UK as very few terminals now use this technology. I would guess that Mastercard etc will follow this lead.
Message 8 of 46

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@Bambino does the phone actually need to be unlocked? as reading the information on this it says it simply needs to be awake....
Message 9 of 46

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3671 Solutions

@PhoneChanger Where did you read that? You cannot just have NFC enabled and tap on a terminal to make a transaction. You have to unlock it via your PIN or your fingerprint, if you have a sensor. I suppose if you set your phone to always on you could, but your battery wouldn't last long, and it wouldn't be a particularly smart thing to do if you're security conscious, which I hope most people are these days.

https://support.google.com/androidpay/answer/6224824?hl=en

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/how-set-up-use-android-pay-in-uk-add-credit-debit-o...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 46