Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Action Fraud Reports

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

A new scam posted yesterday by Action Fraud.This one relating to iTunes gift cards

Victims have handed over approximately £520k to fraudsters who have asked for payment using iTunes Gift Cards, since May 2016.

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/itunes-gift-cards-favoured-by-fraudsters-aug16

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Latest Action Fraud Alert 16/8/16

Fake Text messages targeting parents

Actually this alert came out end of July but only just reached me. Extremely worrying really.

Fraudsters are sending out distressing messages to parents in the hope that they will reply and send mobile phone top-up voucher codes.

Victims initially receive a text message from a 'loved-one' on an unknown number... which says they are in hospital and that the only way that they can make contact is via text message After responding to the message, the fraudsters ask victims to purchase a mobile phone top-up code and text it back to them. Once the fraudsters have the code, they can get the cash credited to their own mobile phone account.

Many of us would not be scammed by this.....but when you are in a highly emotional state thinking your child is seriously hurt...then who knows what you would do...

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/news/fake-text-messages-targeting-parents-jul16

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 41

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Scammers imagination never ceases to amaze me. I would hope my family attempt to contact me by other means but I'm sure a few would fall for this particular scam. 

Message 12 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thing is Steve...if you think your child is in hospital injured then who the hell would stop to check?

Both my lads have been to Rock Festivals and battery runs out on mobile (or lost) and I have had a call from a mobile not recognised by me...as they have borrowed one from some random person to ring me...so not beyond the bounds of possibility really...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 41

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Thanks for posting this one @Cleoriff. A member of my family fell for this. They got a text from 'Sarah' (which is my cousin's name) and it looked really genuine. To be fair, this was a time when my cousin was in and out of hospital anyway. Its a text that relies on good timing, but if the timing is good, it's very easy to be fooled indeed.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 14 of 41

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes as I say, ingenious. I would not hesitate if I thought any of my family was in trouble. Though I would check first, if not their nearest and dearest then certainly I would call. They don't need credit to receive....

Message 15 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Action Fraud 2/9/16

Rental fraud Student Accommodation

A worrying scam for students who are starting University later this month.

Fraudsters use a variety of websites to advertise available properties to rent, often at attractive rates and convenient locations. Adverts will seem genuine, accompanied by a number of photos and contact information to discuss your interest.
Due to demand, students will often agree to pay upfront fees to secure the property quickly, without viewing the property, only to discover that the fraudster posing as the landlord does not have ownership of the property, or often there are already tenants living there.

https://www.actionfraudalert.co.uk/da/154566

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 41

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Unfortunately this isn't new, it was going around when my son went to Bradford University back in 1997. Many students were victims sadly and I would think many every year since.

Message 17 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Unfortunately this isn't new, it was going around when my son went to Bradford University back in 1997. Many students were victims sadly and I would think many every year since.

I had never heard of anyone experiencing this before @jonsie. Maybe it's the first time the police and Action Fraud have been involved....?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 41

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

My son shared a house with four other students, two of which had fell victim to non existant digs.

Message 19 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Action Fraud report 12/9/16

Phishing email alert: Offers 'compensation for victims of fraud'.

This is the latest report just in this morning. I know it's a phishing email and we are used to those...

This one is slightly different in that it appears to come from City of London Police and it claims to represent the 'Fraud Intelligence Unit' and 'The National Fraud Intelligence Bureau'The email is titled 'Compensation Fund' and has a letter attachment offering financial compensation to victims of fraud!

It looks genuine as it is using the City of London Police Logo

https://www.actionfraudalert.co.uk/da/155372

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 41