Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G or not 4G in Alton, Hants

mrjcjones
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The coverage info shows no 4G in Alton Hants, but my Nokia Lumia 930 has displayed an 2-3 bar 4G signal for the past 2 weeks.  Is testing being done or is it due to the fine weather or a response to Vodaphone bringing 4G to Alton?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suspect they have started the process of bringing 4G to your area - that's what happened in Newmarket we started to pick it up but the coverage checker said no then after a few weeks the coverage checker updated. However the fine weather may mean you are able to pick up from a mast further away which you don't normally connect to, but I would imagine the 4G bandwagon has arrived.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try your postcode here http://status.o2.co.uk/

If 4G has arrived they will post a message here saying the network update has arrived etc and when they are working on the masts. You have to check with your postcode though.

Message 3 of 9

mrjcjones
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies.  The status checker has no information currently.  I keep checking the status and just be grateful.

Message 4 of 9

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

I'm with @Anonymous on this one, out sounds a lot like they're updating the mast to 4g!

But still, I'd be wary just in case lol!

Anyhow it's great to get 4g once it's arrived, we're loving it here in Brighton.

Message 5 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's possible they have done it, finished and moved on, and I suspect the O2 Status page hasn't been updated.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

It's possible they have done it, finished and moved on, and I suspect the O2 Status page hasn't been updated.

Indeed the status page for Newmarket took a few weeks to update.

Message 7 of 9

McGrath1982
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 49 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Well if it's anything like Crewe, Cheshire O2 have been updating the masts around here for over a month now. I can pick up 4G on and off all the time can't count how times they have worked on masts around the area but it's still ongoing please hurry up so I can use your 4G 😂😂
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there @mrjcjones,

https://www.o2.co.uk/getupdates?lte 

If you register here, O2 will let you know when they are due to start the Upgrade to 4G

Now, off the record, It's already there wink It's just not official yet, they may need to just make a few adjustments.

Message 9 of 9