cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G arriving?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good evening everyone.

Just done a random status check to see  if anything exciting happening and low and behold this message was there, I live in Newmarket.

"We'll be carrying out some maintenance on our phone masts in this area on the 26 March.

Our Network modernisation programme to improve 2G and 3G coverage and roll out 4G has reached this area. It does mean that you may experience intermittent service on your mobile device while our engineers 'do their thing'."

Does this mean 4G arrives on the 26th March? Or would it be the start of the rollout process that takes a while?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

it means they are starting to update the masts to 4g but that could take days/weeks to finish .. so you may get 4g on and off while they are doing the work but hopefully it wont take long for you slight_smile

enjoy 4g when they are finaly finished ... im still waiting :S

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

it means they are starting to update the masts to 4g but that could take days/weeks to finish .. so you may get 4g on and off while they are doing the work but hopefully it wont take long for you slight_smile

enjoy 4g when they are finaly finished ... im still waiting :S

Message 2 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It takes longer than 1 day to install a new mast so that will be a start date.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
From install to fill go live can take between 2 and 6 weeks depending on testing and third party involvement, notably Openreach
Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It took 4 weeks, give or take a couple of days, in Bolton from the date on the text and the status page.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this is all rather exciting - upgraded my tariff to a 4G one, which completed a few hours ago and trotted out with the dog - looked at phone and saw this. Very weak and very intermittent but there is a 4G signal.  Now given the nearest documented 4G signal is over 10 miles away at Cambridge, and according to their coverage falls miles short of Newmarket I don't quite know what to make of it!! Still a good sign I assume!Screenshot_2015-03-22-14-58-21.png

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Looks promising....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Good news,you are either picking up from the other mast or they are testing nearer to your home. A good sign anyway.

Message 8 of 12

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
It took about 3 and a half weeks for our mast to be upgraded to 4g, but from the 11th day we had 4g intermittently... It's now up and ruining, and is great.

Charlie.
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just been into town and was getting 2 bars of 4G quite often - so clearly the process has started, it will be interesting if there is any noticable change in signal strength from the 26th.

Message 10 of 12