cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G and Signal Strength

Anonymous
Not applicable

As will be evident from what follows I know little or nothing about mobile phone technology.

Tonight I noticed that my Galaxy S4 is displaying 4G in the Status bar - an unusual event in this particular location but I am happy to see it.  However, I also noticed that the signal strength indicator beside the 4G has reduced to just 1 bar - whereas in this location I normally have all the bars illuminated.  So, is there any connection between 4G and the signal strength indicator or is there perhaps a network hiccup in progress.  The live status checker tells me everything is hunky dory.  BTW my S4 seems able to send and receive texts OK despite the almost total absence of signal.

Thanks in anticipation

Gerry

(I would be unstoppable - if only I could get going!)

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

This could mean one of two things;:

1. 4g is coming closer to you as more masts in your area are upgraded. Your phone will pick up the highest signal it can ie 4g first if no joy then 3g and so on. Your phone is picking up a weaker 4g signal but should still work.

2. 4g may be in test phase at your local mast so power levels would change as o2 continue the testing phase.

For you my friend both outcomes are good but personally i would prefer option 2.
Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

This could mean one of two things;:

1. 4g is coming closer to you as more masts in your area are upgraded. Your phone will pick up the highest signal it can ie 4g first if no joy then 3g and so on. Your phone is picking up a weaker 4g signal but should still work.

2. 4g may be in test phase at your local mast so power levels would change as o2 continue the testing phase.

For you my friend both outcomes are good but personally i would prefer option 2.
Message 2 of 13

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just to add @Anonymous  that the texts go over 2G or 3G anyway as 4G is data only at present.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks   @aldaweb and @Anonymous  - 4G is brilliant when it is available but I live just outside of a "blue area" on the O2 coverage map so maybe tonights reception has just been accidental.

I was on holiday in Oxfordshire and Gloucesteshire last week and the O2 coverage was abominable - terrific when available but when driving in and around the Cotswolds signal was frequently lost or very weak.

Gerry

Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect the rollout continues @Anonymous
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous my note 3 often does the same when on 4g it often shows one bar of signal
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great response @Anonymous !

Fantastic

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I should report that 4G reception is improving all the time in my neck of the woods, so credit where it is due - thanks to O2 engineers.  Keep up the good work.

Gerry

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous This is one of those occasions when i am proud to say "told you so".

Great news my friend and great of you to update. 😆😆😆😆😆
Message 9 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions
Message 10 of 13