cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Data Roaming - EU/Czech Republic

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently travelled to the Czech Republic, and made use of O2 Travel. I was in Prague for a week, followed by Brno. Although it was all very smooth, and £1.99 per day for unlimited data is a pretty good deal, my only complaint was the lack of 4G data roaming, especially as O2 is the main provider in the Czech Republic, even O2 branded fixed phone boxes! I know O2 CZ offered very extensive 4G coverage in Prague, but as a O2 UK customer, I was unable to access that. I appreciate that although both are O2 companies owned by Telefonica (for now at least), they are separate, I was still disappointed that I could not access 4G in the Czech Republic, on what I perceived as the same network.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93227 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

4G is available in Spain but only with local sims. I know how difficult it was for you to get a sim card there @Cleoriff so unless you are going for any length of time or are a frequent visitor it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I am not sure how far 4G roaming is available abroad. I go to Spain every 6-8 weeks and have never had 4G anywhere. In the Malaga region... I don't have a problem with 3G anywhere...but never seen 4G at all...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that O2 does not currently offer 4G data roaming at all. I hope its something they do end up fixing, particularly before the 2017 deadline for scrapping EU data roaming. But I guess I focused on the Czech Republic as O2 has a massive presence there, as I suspect it does in Spain as well.

Other providers seem to offer this though. Perhaps it will become available if the Three takeover goes through? I'd just like to see a timeframe of when its going to be offered, at least in a few countries that have the infrastructure for it.

Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

So many hopes pinned on this 3 takeover @Anonymous. I am hoping they meet all expectations.

Having said about Malaga..i have friends who live out here...and they have never seen a 4G signal anywhere...:smileywink:

One of our community tem @Anonymous comes from Barcelona...I wonder if she has found 4G there?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93227 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

4G is available in Spain but only with local sims. I know how difficult it was for you to get a sim card there @Cleoriff so unless you are going for any length of time or are a frequent visitor it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Ah but see...my point about my friends who live here...they all have local sims and to my knowledge none have got 4G. I will check it out tomorrow in a local phone shop when out and about.

As for me getting a local sim out here....I have one if you remember.. for my netbook (before I got Wifi in the apartment) The palaver I had getting that topped up was infuriating...Passport has to be shown. A phone call to head office and then a code given for activation... To buy a phone here ..if not a Spanish national.. is a 3 day process....Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6