cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G / 4G Toggle on the iPhone.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Re: Removal of 3G toggle after upgrading to 4G tariff.

After recent discussions on the forum O2 have said they are re-introducing the 3G toggle back into Android updates.

This initiated me asking O2 via @Toby why Apple iPhones still do not have this option, as when I was on a 3G Tariff it existed, but was removed via a Carrier Update after upgrading to a 4G Tariff.

The reply from O2 is........

"The network switch on iPhones are controlled by Apple themselves rather than by us. We understand the 2G/3G switch is important to many and we’re doing all we can to re-introduce these options to as many updates as we can, but we have less control over implementing such an option on iOS updates we’re afraid as these are wholly managed by Apple."

This instigated an online chat today with 3 Apple Chat agents and myself.

They (Apple) state that Carrier Updates are in conjunction with O2 ,and implement carrier updates connected to what O2 want.

I've sent feedback to Apple to try and push for this setting to be reintroduced. So that hopefully both a 3G & 4G toggle are implemented.

What was quite alarming was one of the Apple Chat agents suggested going into the settings and turn off MOBILE DATA, to push the iPhone to 2G.

How would I accomplish receiving App updates, location services, mms, e mails and notifications not to mention internet access if I did that ?

" oh , you have a valid point " was the answer.

I despair sometimes. 😞

@Anonymous
@Toby
@Anonymous

Would you feed this back up the chain please. slight_smile
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I had much the same feedback from O2, saying that it was Blackberry that had turned off the ability to switch to 2G only...yet we got a small update at the same time as the Android users which returned the option...

Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Blimey bob that sounds worse than a O2 live chat answer I didn't think that was possible slight_smile
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think I kind of flustered him as he passed me onto a senior Apple Agent soon after.
Message 4 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes maybe I would have thought that something as simple as that would have been obvious that it would stop all data
Message 5 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The carrier needs to release a revised carrier file which is defined here : http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Carrier.plist#Carrier_Definition

<key>Show3GSwitch</key><false/>

changes to:

<key>Show3GSwitch</key><true/>

courtesy @adamtemp64

Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which won't happen I believe @jonsie until O2 speak to Apple. 😞
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still think it's wrong that O2 can remove a function that was on a sim free phone in the first place
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm wondering what would happen if I removed the 4G O2 SIM card and inserted another network SIM card on a 3G tariff.

Would I receive another Carrier Update re introducing the 3G toggle. wink

I'm not sure I want to go to all that hassle.
Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a very good point Bob then you could change back and just ignore the O2 carrier update sounds like a plan slight_smile
Message 10 of 21