O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 1: Joiner
tank

unlocking my iphone with vodafone contract

I have just recently taken a 2 year iphone contract with vodafone and i really shoud have known better as their signal in my area is really bad and has always been compared to o2. My son has the same 3GS 16GB iphone with o2 and his network coverage in our area is spot on and he has no problems getting a strong signal and making calls from anywhere in our town whereas i cannot make calls from lots of areas, especially from inside buidings.
Has anyone any ideas how i could get round this or get my phone unlocked so i could revert to using an o2 sim card in my phone. Reading emails on this forum i realise o2 will unlock the iphone at a price but only if you are an existing o2 customer.
I would appreciate any help possible. Thanks, Tank.
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
mitchja

I would think Vodafone have a 'cooling off' period the same as O2 do. O2 give you 14 days to send back any handset if your not happy with it.

Edit - I've checked, and they only offer a 7 day return service:

You have the option of asking for an exchange or refund within 7 days if you brought it from our website or by phone direct from us, as long as you keep to the following conditions.
Mobile phones – contract and Pay as you go
You must return the phone to us with all its accessories and manuals, in the original packaging and undamaged.
You must provide a receipt.
If you are a contract customer, we will charge you for line rental and calls you made during those 7 days.

Vodafone also don't offer an unlocking service for iPhones I'm afraid.
Please use plain text.
tank

Ye i thought that was the case and i am afraid to say my 7 day cooling off period has ran out so i guess i am stuck with it for the duration of the contract. I just hoped that someone might come up with something i hadn't thought of so i could weadle my way out of it and go with o2 but other than paying up my contract, which i couldn't possibly do i guess i am stuck with it for the 2 year contract, unless anyone else knows any other way.
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
noddy6611

Have you tried asking this query on the Vodafone forum? This is the o2 forum so I can't see how anyone here can help.
iPhone 4S 64Gb
iPhone 3GS 32Gb unlocked
iPad 2 16Gb
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
pauljcarr

What VF is much more likely to do is to try to sell you their Sure SIgnal product which runs off your broadband connection and will give you full 3G mobile network coverage in your house.

It would stick in my throat to be asked to pay extra to provide the service that one might reasonably expect the network to do but if your stuck with a two year contract, you might as well get some service out of it. The current price for Sure Signal is £50.
Please use plain text.
tank

I PHONE WITH VODAFONE

Just thought i would update everyone--------to their credit Vodafone did let me terminate my contract at no cost to myself and they even gave me a free sure signal which was great when i was in my house but after i left my house all the issues regarding my signal remained so full credit to them for that and now i am an O2 customer with the same phone and no problems at all with my signal. TANK. :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.