O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
zkecskemeti

unlocking iphone

Hi,
I've switched providers ie. moved my pay monthly number from O2 when I bought my new iphone4 from apple and I wanted to unlock my old iphone 3g tied to O2 so I can use it/ give it away freely.
I filled in the unlock form some 3+ weeks ago, and if I remember correctly I was promised an unlocking code in text to my mobile number in 14 days, but haven't got it yet.
My number is not with O2 anymore and I cancelled my pay monthly contract, is this the reason I haven't received the code?
I tried putting in my old O2 sim but because I've moved my number from O2 my old O2 sim doesn't work anymore.
What do I do now?
Regards,
Zsolt
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 212
Kudos: 891
Solutions: 971

Re: unlocking iphone

You would now need to get a payg o2 sim and pay the £15 to get it unlocked.
and it is not an unlock code but done via itunes
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
zkecskemeti

Seriously?
I mean I don't mind paying to unlock it, but I want to get *away* from O2 and I need to buy a payg o2 sim to do that??? Nicely done, O2...
Do I have to fill in the form again and wait another 14 days?
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64

if you had done it before moving it would have been free.
Apart from seeing if they will do it free via live chat, but a payg sim is free top up £20 and use the iphone for a few calls ensure £15 credit is left and fill in the form again.
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
Please use plain text.
zkecskemeti

If o2 customer service had asked me if I wanted to do it before moving then I would have done it before moving... but of course it didn't cross their mind when I asked for the PAC code...
I'll try via chat, thanks for the tip!
Please use plain text.
zkecskemeti

Hah, almost!
The chat advisor would unlock my iphone, but he said he cannot find the phone on my account by its imei number.
Now, my phone was replaced by o2 not so long ago because it was damaged. Is it possible that the imei of the replacement phone is not registered to the account?
Please use plain text.
Level 9: Fired up
brendan002

If it has been used on o2 they should have a record as they use the IMEI no. to blacklist a stolen phone as far as I know.
Please use plain text.
zkecskemeti

I've definitely used it, hmm.
OK, I might have lied in my last post, I think the advisor actually wrote something like "I can only unlock xxxxxxxxxxxx" (the imei of my old, damaged, replaced phone) which I interpreted as if he couldn't see the other one at all. Maybe it just doesn't appear in whatever app they use to unlock.
Can that mean that the replacement phone has actually been unlocked already, at least in o2's system, and all I need to do now is get an o2 sim that works, and connect it to itunes?
If I connect it now, with a non-o2 sim, I get a "the sim in this iphone is unsupported" message from itunes.
If I put in the old dead o2 sim, I simply get a "SIM failure" from the phone, but itunes seems to be happy, I could sync if I wanted. It's just not unlocking it.
Do you still think getting that free payg sim with £20 credit will work? I'm starting to lose faith here. Can someone write a step-by-step guide what I need to do now? Do I need to fill the form with the new number and contract details? Or just get an o2 sim and connect to itunes? Is the unlock process tied to the number (sim) or the phone (imei)? etc...
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64

If the imei is not showing against the old account It could not have been on the network as the last ime would have shown up.
So that is why I said get a free o2 payg sim put £20 credit on make a few calls ensuring the £15 is left in credit then fill the form in again as a payg iphone the unlock will then progress through the system and itunes will unlock it in 14 days max.
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
Please use plain text.
zkecskemeti

I don't know why it's not showing up for the advisor but I was using it on O2 that's 1000%. It's locked to O2 still so I couldn't have used it elsewhere even if I wanted to, that's the issue :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.