O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
deanj
Accepted Solution

"the internet connection appears to be offline / could not activate mobile data network"

[ Edited ]

Heya,

Just changed to the O2 simplicity 300 12 month contract from a pre-existing 18 month contract, with this "the all rounder data 500mb" bolt on, which is active apparently, but the only way I'm able to do things on me phone (data-wise) is via my wifi connection.

I'm in an area with good 3G coverage as it used to work fine before, but it refuses to work at all now. I'm able to make/receive calls & text, signals fine 'n all, but soon as I turn off me phones wifi, the error in the subject line is shown when trying to browse. 

Anyone getting the same error? Any folk from O2 able to look into me account and see if anything to do with me data isn't maybe switched on? It's annoying having to rely on a wifi connection to be able to do stuff.

Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 1,018

Re: "the internet connection appears to be offline / could not activate mobile data network&quo

It sounds like the usual issue ring 202 and get them to check it is the iphone data bolton (same cost) and once corrected the default idata apn will work fine.

Or change the apn as per the info in my usefull links in my signature

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
macblank
Topics: 19
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 23

Re: "the internet connection appears to be offline / could not activate mobile data network&quo

Are u using an iPhone?

If so, u may need it to be changed. For some reason, iPhone's need a diff type of data package. Just like a blackberry.
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
deanj

[ Edited ]

Heya guys, thanks for the replies

I spoke to someone at o2 via that 802802 text chat, gave them the problem I was having and emailed me the default info for the network settings.

Thing is they were the same, nothing had changed from when I went from me old contract to my new one. Anyway, right at the end of the chat, the o2 advisor said maybe change the apn to mobile.o2.co.uk - and bingo, it started working.

I've browsed around though, and that's the "ip/domain" for non-iphone tariff users? Am I able to continue using mobile.o2.co.uk safely?

Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 255
Solutions: 2,997

Re: "the internet connection appears to be offline / could not activate mobile data network&

Yes that's what you need for a non iPhone tariff....
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
Samsung AtivS WP8.1 Samsung Note 4.
Please use plain text.
deanj

Re: "the internet connection appears to be offline / could not activate mobile data network&

Well, it's an iPhone 4 - the correct pay monthly apn doesn't seem to work /shrug

Hey-ho, least 'am able to do things on it now
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 208
Solutions: 1,994

Re: "the internet connection appears to be offline / could not activate mobile data network&amp

[ Edited ]

The correct APN is the one you are now using. idata.o2.co.uk is only if you have an idata bolt on. You obviously have a standard data bolt on.

Please use plain text.