cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prevent call charges in Mexico

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, off to Mexico tomorrow and I've got a new phone. I now have an iPhone 6 and can't remember what else I need to turn off to stop my calls and texts going through a Mexican cellular network and make them use TUGo over wifi. I have turned off data roaming and mobile data and turned on TUGo.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

But I would want texts coming through if I wasn't on wifi and calls can be rejected....personal choice I suppose ultimately.

Message 11 of 14

MI5
  • 143418 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
This question has been raised elsewhere, so to keep everything relevant on both threads I will repeat my answer here too.
It all depends on what you want to achieve.
If you are travelling out of the EU (no o2 travel) and don't want ANY additional charges, for anything, then airplane mode and Tugo over WiFi is the only solution.
If you are using a local sim (or have Three's feel at home) you can leave the phone in normal operational mode as the calls and data will not cost any extra on the o2 account.
Obviously, when in airplane mode, nothing will work on the phone whilst out of WiFi range so this must be kept in mind, but to some, that will be an acceptable trade off against high roaming bills.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for clarification @MI5.

The other thread you mention is mine and is HERE (in case anyone else wondered)...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
This question has been raised elsewhere, so to keep everything relevant on both threads I will repeat my answer here too.
It all depends on what you want to achieve.
If you are travelling out of the EU (no o2 travel) and don't want ANY additional charges, for anything, then airplane mode and Tugo over WiFi is the only solution.
If you are using a local sim (or have Three's feel at home) you can leave the phone in normal operational mode as the calls and data will not cost any extra on the o2 account.
Obviously, when in airplane mode, nothing will work on the phone whilst out of WiFi range so this must be kept in mind, but to some, that will be an acceptable trade off against high roaming bills.

Just to clarify, Mexico is not a destination included in Three's Feel At Home package, and only calls back to the UK and data are included. Local calls within the country you are visiting are chargeable. A little off topic, I know, but I thought I'd just mention it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 14