O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
neilfrancis21

o2 3G Signal Vs Orange Vs Vodaphone

Hi,

Im getting really annoyed with the lack of 3G Signal O2 have to offer, as i cant do simple tasks such as stream etc. Do anyone know if Orange or Vodaphone are better for 3G as im thinking of moving when the iPhone comes out on these networks.
3G IPhone
Please use plain text.
fandyboy

Re: o2 3G Signal Vs Orange Vs Vodaphone

Hi,
Im getting really annoyed with the lack of 3G Signal O2 have to offer, as i cant do simple tasks such as stream etc. Do anyone know if Orange or Vodaphone are better for 3G as im thinking of moving when the iPhone comes out on these networks.

In London, there is no doubt other networks are faster. It wouldn't be hard though.
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 947
Solutions: 1,018

I think you maybe confusing data capacity with signal availability.

You say
Im getting really annoyed with the lack of 3G Signal O2 have to offer, as i cant do simple tasks such as stream etc.

So do you have a 3g signal or not? you do not give your location.

If it is capacity like the london problems then until o2 do something that will not change.

But I would suggest you compare actual 3g signal avaialbility in your area with the suppliers you mentioned and ask real users of those networks their opinion of service received i.e. data speeds.

In my rural location my nearest o2 3g is 7 miles away and is in a low density area so I get good data throughput in fact better than my adsl at work/home when I visit that area.

Just some things to think about. As we all know O2 have the porest total coverage of 3g as shown by Ofcom maps.
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
Danking

I love O2 but their coverage is horrible and there are so many dead corners everywhere even in the centre of Edinburgh! My Vodafone mobile gets almost full bar EVERYWHERE... I am so gonna switch it to Vodafone when it arrives
Please use plain text.
robb95

orange have a bigger and better data network fact! o2 have a better coverage on gsm. which is still the most importent factor
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 947
Solutions: 1,018

[ Edited ]
Have a look at this comment from the man at the top of o2

Q: Why is your 3G coverage so appalling? Now that Orange and Vodafone, both of whom have better coverage, have the iPhone, will O2 be improving theirs?

(name removed by me), London

(name removed by me),

I accept that our network has been under pressure in parts of London, where we see the highest concentration of smartphone users. For two years we have been the exclusive provider of the Apple iPhone — the fastest selling and most powerful phone in the world. It’s been a steep learning curve for the industry and ourselves — the O2 network has seen an 18-fold increase in data carried over the network in the last year and traffic continues to double every three months. This level of throughput increase would cause pressure on any business. To put this into some context, watching an average YouTube video on a smartphone can be the network equivalent of sending 500,000 text messages.

We are constantly increasing the capacity of our networks and the good news is that we now better understand and know what fixes we need to put in place to improve our levels of service. Fortunately, it’s not about needing new mast sites and we are investing more than £30 million to address capacity issues in London alone between now and Christmas and I’m confident that we’ll see much improved levels of service as a result.

Source http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 886886.ece
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
poutyjoe

Hello o2 anybody there?

Hello?
We don't all live in London!
Your network coverage and 3G coverage is letting the iPhone down.
Never mind London, what about the rest of the country?
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
greatcapp

Re: o2 3G Signal Vs Orange Vs Vodaphone

[ Edited ]
Do anyone know if Orange or Vodaphone are better for 3G as im thinking of moving when the iPhone comes out on these networks.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/ ... e_maps.pdf

In general, yes, the O2 3G coverage is the worst of all the UK providers, but it really does depend on where you are using your handset to find out exactly which is best for you.
The only decent way of doing that is by actually trying it out where you expect to use your phone the most.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I have amnesia
To get to the other side
Please use plain text.
SJAspinall

This is what frustrates me with O2 they have the worst data network in the country and have had the best handset for data for the last 2 years unfortunately they've not improved things.

Now they've lost exclusivity to the iPhone many will have a choice and jump ship.

O2 have been too intent on developing other things like O2 Money when they cannot even get their core business right.

Not sure where i'll go next, i'm out of contract in January so may just switch to a Sim only tariff with one of the networks.

Don't really want to leave O2 because their CS is superb and i know that if i get a problem i'll speak to someone who can understand me and sort it out without hassle.
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
greatcapp

Don't really want to leave O2 because their CS is superb and i know that if i get a problem i'll speak to someone who can understand me and sort it out without hassle.

Three's customer service is superb. I assume, based in india. Oddly enough, every guy I've ever spoken to there is always called Daniel.
I think not.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I have amnesia
To get to the other side
Please use plain text.