O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
Jingle
Accepted Solution

my iphone says o2 but doesnt get no bars of signal?

recently brought a new iphone 4s off a friend(was factory reset before i started using it), got a brand new micro sim from o2 shop (pay as u go) and installed, phone works, wifi works, set up itunes account and downloaded apps and works, yet cant get any signal or make/recieve cals/texts?? it says o2 in top left, but no bars of signal?

thanks in advance people :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

Re: my iphone says o2 but doesnt get no bars of signal?

Make sure you have the correct APN settings depending on whether you have an iPhone tariff or not:

http://mobileguide.o2.co.uk/devices/device.jsp?deviceId=666&tab=8&step=2&settingId=3303

Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.4
Please use plain text.
Jingle

i assume everything is correct with tarriff/sim(as its a micro sim which only goes in iphone) etc as the person in the shop put the sim in the iphone themselfs so obv knew it was for iphone, would it be anything to do with the iphone, like blocked or something? (my friend said it was working on the o2 sim he had tho.....??)

Please use plain text.
perksie
Topics: 229
Solutions: 1,536

If the APN is correct (have you checked?) have you got data turned on?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4203

Please support the Disasters Emergency Committee appeal to send help to the Philippines.
Text DEC to 70000 (free text) to donate £5 or online: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Legacy O2 Simplicity 20 - O2 Wallet - Nexus 4 Android 4.4.4
Please use plain text.
Jingle

yes, and yes
Please use plain text.
Jingle

that link says to change the mms apn..... so i did.

BUT doesnt mention the mobile data apn? (which is still set to payandgo.02.co.uk - vertigo - password)

Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 177
Solutions: 1,897

If you can't make/receive calls it suggests a problem with the sim. Try a reset by holding the on button and home button down until the Apple logo appears, then release. If that doesn't work I would try removing and reinserting the sim card. Failing that, it's a trip back to the o2 or Apple store to get it checked out.

Please use plain text.
Jingle

ive tryed all the resets etc, and tryed it in my own iphone 4 and sim works fine (this new iphone 4s is a present for my mum)

so it looks like the phone is maybe locked? but if thats the case, then how comes it says o2 with no signal bars as opposed to "no service" or "unregistered sim" etc? :/

is there anyway i can check if the phone is unlocked atall? it was originally on o2 contract

Please use plain text.
bandofbrothers
Topics: 810
Solutions: 1,912

Ask the original owner if they request:smileywink:d an unlock from 02. It's free for a contract customer.

Or just try another networks sim in it.

It may be that the iPhone itself is having problems which could be sorted out by making an appointment at an Apple Genous Bar. If under warranty the repair / replacement would be free.

MacBook Air 11” Core i5 1.6GHz 4GB 128GB •1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5.

iPhone 5s ~ iOS 8.0
iPad Air ~ iOS 8.0.

Support Uk O2 Jobs.
Mea familia est mea vita.
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

It is a strange one this if on o2 it would work with any o2 sim.

Ring o2 to check imei bar status

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.