cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 6 and plus refresh unlock

Anonymous
Not applicable

if i buy the iphone 6 and request the unlock code straight away will it be accepted or is it 6 months again?

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi when will o2 allow iPhone 6 to be unlocked? As I will he going away in a few weeks for a month so I'll need to use it on another network 

Message 21 of 45

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

In the past new iphones have been excluded from unlocking for around 6 months.

Some on a Refresh contract ngot the phones unlocked by paying off the handset.

Message 22 of 45

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Just to let you know, I've merged a couple of iPhone 6 unlock threads here together as they both asked the same question and you can easily have a shared discussion slight_smile

If and when I find out any info on unlocking, I shall let everyone know on the community.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 23 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an interesting point. I've been with O2 since the iPhone 3G and have always had a challenge getting them unlocked.

I skipped the 5S but it took 6 months and a lot of arguing with O2 to get the 5 unlocked when I purchase that on contract 2 years ago; and I specifically asked at point of sale if I could unlock it (was told yes).

2 years down the line, once I saw that Three sell them unlocked and do unlimited 4G data plans, I figured I'd have a change. I travel a lot so unlocked is very useful for me; plus the Three 'Feel At Home' roaming plan is another big win for a regular traveller.

I'm sad to leave O2 though, as I've never had an issue with the network. I explained that to the 'retentions' agent when I was getting my PAC code, and she stated 'You could have got your iPhone 6 unlocked within 24 hours if you'd stayed with O2' - I explained my previous 6 month woe's and she said, "There must have been a policy change, its 24 hours".... but as always, nothing transparent on the site that backs that up.

Message 24 of 45

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
We'll discover O2's policy soon enough, I'm sure, but for now it sounds like you've done the best thing for your own situation.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 45

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I would have done the same in your situation. It won't be long before we get the first post complaining O2 won't unlock the phone straightaway.

Message 26 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd like mine to be unlocked as I am flying to the states the next day and would like to use a local sim card. I can't think of anyone I know that could have an unlocked iPhone 6 as something to rub into people's faces.
Message 27 of 45

scouserjohn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've just tried to have my iphone 6 unlocked ( Pay monthly, long term customer) and treceived the message they are not unlocking 6's at the moment.

Message 28 of 45

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

That's correct and the information is stated on the unlocking page. Usually around 6 months....

Message 29 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

That's correct and the information is stated on the unlocking page. Usually around 6 months....

I have read somewhere that it COULD be 90 days in some cases @jonsie ....although the general rule is 6 months as you say?... I was sure I had read that certain circumstances would allow it....it was another thread...but....?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 45