cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 6 64GB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I am currently on 12 months sim card deal only with O2 started about 4 months ago, recently I have contacted O2 and asking if I can upgrade free of charge to O2 referesh 24 months contarct with iphone 6 64 GB. They said yes I can. 

I was wondering If I upgrade now the handset they will provide to me, Will that be unlocked? 

I have heared iphone is always unlocked, and gets lock to any network when you put that network sim card inside first time.

Once they provide me iphone I want to gift it to someone who wants to use EE sim in it, Will it work please?

Please reply asap

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Upgrading through o2 will get you a iPhone locked to o2 so no, it wouldn't work with the EE sim. As yet they are not unlocking the 6's unless paid for in full.

The phones that lock to the first sim used are those supplied by independents such as CPW.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Upgrading through o2 will get you a iPhone locked to o2 so no, it wouldn't work with the EE sim. As yet they are not unlocking the 6's unless paid for in full.

The phones that lock to the first sim used are those supplied by independents such as CPW.

Message 2 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you get the handset on Refresh from O2 it will be locked to O2, and remain locked until you pay off the handset.
There's other thread in here covering unlocking iPhones.
Message 3 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

If you want an unlocked iPhone you best buy direct from Apple....or Three....

You will forfeit the Refresh tariff though....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can, as has been suggested, take out a refresh plan, and then pay off the device plan straight away (and then you can request an unlock code). You said the phone was intended as a gift though, so you would need to make sure that you cancel the airtime plan at the same time, as it's effectively two contracts that you'd be signing up to.

I've gone down that route myself recently (not for an iPhone though), but only because it worked out cheaper for me at the time. But if you're in a position to buy it outright, then unless O2 are offering any particular discounts, then you may as well buy an unlocked iPhone from the Apple Store.

http://store.apple.com/uk/iphone

Message 6 of 26

jonsie
  • 93240 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122931 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

An expensive gift....must be love LOL

Ah ...nice though....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 26

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
You can also buy an unlocked iPhone from giffgaff https://www.giffgaff.com/apple/phones
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much all who replied,

So what are my options please, I am expecting a delivery of device tomorrow 22/06/2015 but they have already upgraded my airtime plan.

What do I need to do to cancel every thing and go back to my previous plan,

Or what is your advise please, what are best options for me

Message 10 of 26