cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5 unlocking Phones4u

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have been given an iphone 5 locked to O2 that I would like to give to my daughter who is tied to a Vodafone contract.

The original owner tried to get O2 to unlock it for me but was refused as the phone was purchased from Phones4u and they had no record of it as they have gone out of business. The original owners new handset is with O2. 

I just would like to know if I have been given the correct information and if so is there an official way to unlock the iphone ? I don't really want to deal with 3rd party unlocking companies.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Top up an o2 sim with £20, make a few chargeable calls and fill in the unlock form leaving £15 credit to pay for the unlock.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Cleoriff
  • 122829 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

If the phone is locked to O2 then they have to unlock it for you

You need to read this guide http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

and use this form

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
It needs to be used on o2 with a payg sim card.
Help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Out of interest, have you tried the Voda sim in it?
Historically, P4U sold unlocked handsets and I can't remember if the 5 had the first network sim lock enabled on it or not?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 I thought only CPW did that though?
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Top up an o2 sim with £20, make a few chargeable calls and fill in the unlock form leaving £15 credit to pay for the unlock.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

If the phone is locked to O2 and was used by the original owner on his O2 number, it doesn't matter where it was bought. If the answer was they have no record of it, it means the phone was not used against his number.Contracts bought from P4U show on the systems like with any other phone bought from O2/CPW/etc....

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Am I right in thinking that with the iphone on PAYG I don't have to wait for the 12 months mentioned ? Just top it up make a few calls and apply for unlock? Cheers

Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, yes I tried the Vodafone SIM and it came up with something like "SIM NOT VALID"  Cheers

Message 9 of 14

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Am I right in thinking that with the iphone on PAYG I don't have to wait for the 12 months mentioned ? Just top it up make a few calls and apply for unlock? Cheers

The iPhone 5 did not have to wait 12 months.

It's only the iPhone 6 that this rule applies to.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 14