cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iphone 5 not 4G?? yet I was told it was 4G by an 02 advisor

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so I am on a 4G price plan with the iphone 5, sweet as, however I only get 3g even thou I live in a 4G area, so I called on 24th June and was advised to go into a store and do a sim swap as i didnt have a 4G sim, I couldnt get to a store so I called on the 28th June where I was advised that I did have 4G and my iphone 5 was 4G enabled and I did infact have a 4G sim running in my handset, I checked again this morning and still only geting 3g even thou I am at home and I live in a 4G area, I called in to customer services again and was now advised that the iphone 5 wont support 4G... so why have i been told by 2 different advisors 2 different stories and now been told anouther story??

can any one shed some light on this?

Message 1 of 26
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Common misconception as the original iPhone 5 is 4G  but does not use the 4G band that O2 does, so you've been misadvised. 

The 5S and 5C do have the requisite 4G bands for O2 so I guess the person you spoke to initially was confused.

When you change handset however you will be able to get 4G with that new SIM.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
The 5 has never been able to support O2's frequency for 4G
You need a 5s or 5c.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 26

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Common misconception as the original iPhone 5 is 4G  but does not use the 4G band that O2 does, so you've been misadvised. 

The 5S and 5C do have the requisite 4G bands for O2 so I guess the person you spoke to initially was confused.

When you change handset however you will be able to get 4G with that new SIM.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 3 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will be able to change handsets in around 24 months Confused

Message 4 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its annoying as it will run on ee's 4g ref the frequencies. 

I changed from the 5 to the 5s for the same reason to get 4G

As others have said it was publicised as this all happened.   If you haven't got anything in writing its your  word against theirs. 😞

You could sell the 5 and buy the 5s or 5c if 4G is really wanted and is in your area. 

Message 5 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

they are reviewing the advisors calls, as the calls are recorded they have opened a case against me being mis advised so will waiy and see what they say whne they call me back in 5 days time.. I left Vodafdone to go to 02 last month as voda's 4g was terrible and EE dont work in my house Banana

Message 6 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll keep my fingers crossed they recover the call. 

They'll have to offer you something then. At least some form of upgrade deal from your 5 to the 5c.

The 5s is the next upgrade up from the 5c.

Let us know how you get on please.  

Message 7 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will keep you all informed as to the outcome of this, this is a common issue with call centres and training of product knowladge of staff

Jay 

Message 8 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Product knowledge and training can play a part I'm sure.

Its possible someone has looked at a spec sheet of the iphone 5 and seen it has 4G / LTE capabilities.

Good luck.
Message 9 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
I didn't think you could still get an iPhone 5?
I thought they were all recalled when the 5S was launched or is it a refurb?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 26