O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
Bodiniho

iphone 4s No Service

Hi there, I have had my iphone 4s since Monday and it keeps having moments where it will have "No Service" and it also never seems to have 3G (I only remember seeing the 3G icon appear once).

On several phonecalls the phonecall will suddenly stop and I will get a message saying "Call Failed" First I thought it might just be my house with poor signal, but it keeps happening in loads of places.

I love my iphone but it is totally useless if I don't have signal...

Any help or advice at all?

Cheers, James.

Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 949
Solutions: 1,018

Re: iphone 4s No Service

[ Edited ]

what is the o2 coverage checker predicting for your area? http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

Is there any local cell issues http://status.o2.co.uk/

Have you tried to disable 3g where you are just to rule out a weak 3g / congested area. settings> general> network> enable 3g to off

The 4s is running the latest 5.1 ios?

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Bodiniho

I have tried 3 times today but it says that the Coverage Checker isn't working and to try again later.

I get 5/5 bars for 2G signal in my area and 3/5 bars for the 3G and 3G900 signals in my area on the local cell issues test.

I disabled 3G but was unsure as what that was achieving so I enabled it again and still am not getting 3G service.

I do have the latest OS update.

I am still getting alot of "No Service" around my house and around the Pub. I am out this afternoon so will post later on how my phone fairs while I am out.

If I were to call O2 is there no way they could boost my signal at all?

Cheers, James.

Please use plain text.
adamtemp64

are you on an iphone tariff ?

What apn's are in use?

Turning 3g off forces the iphone to use the 2g gsm network and will eliminate any 3g utms voice issues.

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
StigMcNasty

I have started to have exactly the same problem, but I am (temporarily) in France. Yesterday I got very rare connection to any French carriers (BouyGues, SFR or Orange France). The rest of the time it is 'Searching…' or 'No Network'.

I have tried:
2G
Manually Carrier selection
Reset Network
Rest Settings
Hard Restart
Remove SIM and Restart

All with no luck. My boss is doing my head in, complaining that no one can call me, I have to resort to occasional WiFi hotspots!

O2 Guru Chat has just told me to 'Turn it Off and leave for a few hours'… I don't expect much to happen when I turn it back on again! 

Please use plain text.
Bodiniho

I am on an iPhone tarriff - 750mb Data, 900 minutes and Unlimited Texts.

If by apn you mean apple push notifications then only Twitter and Drawsomething... (as far as I know) 

I turned off 3G and in the same spots (Sat in my living room on my sofa and sat on my bed) it said "Searching..." and then went to "No Service" again.

This is really annoying.. I would like to be able to text and call and look on the internet while I sit on my bed / sofa and not be sat there without an iphone signal and have to move to be able to send a text message!!

The service checker you posted earlier still doesn't work, says it is still unavailable.

Any help you can provide me at all?!

Cheers, James.

Please use plain text.
adamtemp64

The coverage checker and service status pages both load for me.(from links posted above) How are you accessing them?

By apn i mean the 3 access point names (info in my usefull links thread) but if on an iphone tariff that should not be an issue as the idata defaults are correct.

I would get a replacement micro sim from o2 and test that to eliminate sim issues if that fails.

I would book a genius appointment at your nearest apple store to get the handset checked for faults.

But do remember that coverage on all mobiles is heavily affected by the building construction on 2g the indore coverage is better than on 3g due to the frequencies used.

iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
Please use plain text.
O2 Social Media Team
Paul

Hi there,

One other thing you could try is backing up and restoring your iPhone in iTunes.

Have you been able to access http://j.mp/O2Coverage yet?
Please use plain text.
Bodiniho

I managed to do the coverage checker,

I have full 5/5 bars for 2G and 3/5 bars for 3G.

Will a reset in Apple itunes solve the problem? I haven't had time to go into my local Apple store yet and talk to a Genius.

Cheers, James.

Please use plain text.
darrengf
Topics: 17
Kudos: 145
Solutions: 26

Ive seen this problem before and also had the same issue.

Its also been mentioned on the apple forums and its not just o2 having this issue as well.

The problem could be either if you have the pin number activated on the sim card (Sim Pin)

or the sim card it self.

The Microsim cards are I believe causing the issue. Seen this issue many times and always resolved with a new microsim card.

First of all, Disable the sim card pin if you have one. Switch the phone of and remove and reinsert the Microsim. Then switch your phone on and see if this works.

If it does then reactivate the sim card pin (Again if you have one) and see if the fault reapears.

If the fault does, then go into you local o2 shop and advise them your microsim is faulty and request a new one. O2 are great and will replaced the sim card free of charge.

Did mine and had the issue only once since and all i needed to do was remove and reinsert it and not had a issue since.

Let me know how you get on.

Please use plain text.
Ask a Question
Welcome