Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
tonypreece

iPhone data settings

Does anybody know the performance difference between the APN settings:

idata.o2.co.uk

mobile.o2.co.uk

I know idata is the default for iPhones and mobile for other phones, but what actually is the difference? Is there any difference in performance or available features?

I'm asking because I've always used idata but after a few hours with an iPhone 5 I couldn't pick up data services other than wifi. O2 support told me to change to mobile.o2.co.uk and that fixed the problem, although now Personal Hotspot (tethering) is missing from the settings menu.

Have O2 done something when renewing my contract? Do I need to ask them to do something at their end to get tethering back? Should both idata and mobile APN settings work?

Thanks for your help guys.

Please use plain text.
Level 44: Clearly Talented
Liquid

Re: iPhone data settings

It all seems to be down to the contract my current contract works with idata my old iPhone was mobiledata.

I can only presume they're split between servers to lighten the load I don't believe there's any performance gains to be had.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
dotmit

There is no performance difference. In fact the only reason there is a difference at all is because O2 want to continually push you towards a more expensive iPhone contract rather than a regular mobile data one.

Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 947
Solutions: 1,018

Idata allows you to use all the iphones features call merge and visual voice mail.

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 947
Solutions: 1,018

tonypreece wrote:

Does anybody know the performance difference between the APN settings:

idata.o2.co.uk

mobile.o2.co.uk

I know idata is the default for iPhones and mobile for other phones, but what actually is the difference? Is there any difference in performance or available features?

I'm asking because I've always used idata but after a few hours with an iPhone 5 I couldn't pick up data services other than wifi. O2 support told me to change to mobile.o2.co.uk and that fixed the problem, although now Personal Hotspot (tethering) is missing from the settings menu.

Have O2 done something when renewing my contract? Do I need to ask them to do something at their end to get tethering back? Should both idata and mobile APN settings work?

Thanks for your help guys.

Ring c/s and get them to check your data bolton is the iphone specific version then once they have changed it do a reset network settings and all should be ok.

2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.