cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone & iPad Share Data?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to share my pay monthly iPhone's data allowance with my Apple store bought iPad mini?

Cheers.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Text messages are linked to your Apple ID, so any sim card wouldn't make any difference.
If the iPad is unlocked, look at other networks for a better deal that suits you. You can only share data on O2 contracts and they have to be set up to share when new, so you can't just add a random device later on I'm afraid.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Only if you tether from the iPhones Wifi hotspot.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, understood, thanks MI5.

I bought a 'cellular' iPad so I could access the internet while out-and-about which came with a £15 pre-loaded O2 SIM.

The 30 days have now expired on that but I don't like the 30 day limit on O2's data tariffs as I'm likely to be using a varying amount of data every month. Is it possible to buy a data allowance which doesn't expire or, failing that, any way of tying the iPad SIM to my iPhone contract / account to get a better deal than the £10 for 1GB for 30 days?

I suppose I'm basically looking at whatever would be the best, most economic option for a varying amount of data-usage on the iPad.

Also, slightly-off topic but related, at the minute I see text messages on both the iPad and iPhone. If I get a non-O2 SIM for the iPad, would that break that link?

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Text messages are linked to your Apple ID, so any sim card wouldn't make any difference.
If the iPad is unlocked, look at other networks for a better deal that suits you. You can only share data on O2 contracts and they have to be set up to share when new, so you can't just add a random device later on I'm afraid.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks.

Just to be sure, SMS messages are linked via Apple ID, not just iMessages?

That's a shame; O2 seem to be cutting themselves out of a market if that's the case.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Many thanks.

Just to be sure, SMS messages are linked via Apple ID, not just iMessages?

Yes, you can check by taking your sim out of the iPad.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was going to be my next test slight_smile

Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
No worries mate slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8