Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Reminder for overdue bill?

JoeH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For the first time ever, I received an Outlook reminder telling me to "Call back O2." I didn't remember creating this and after some brief investigation I discovered that a reminder had been added to my default iPhone Reminders list. This was synced via iCloud to Outlook.

The subject was "Call back O2", the timestamp was for the current time and the subject was a hyperlink which prompted me to call +44 330 123 9245. My bill is overdue and obviously O2 should be contacting me about this.

In the past, I would receive text messages or voicemails about overdue bills but this was the first time an iPhone Reminder was automatically created.

Did this come from the My O2 app which I have installed on my iPhone? I didn't see any settings which would allow automatic creation of reminders. I also checked my Privacy settings in iOS and nothing is authorised to use my Reminders.

Is this something in the Terms & Conditions for iPhone Pay Monthly customers?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

A very convenient new feature but it's better to use the original direct debit and save all the hassle.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 55

JoeH
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Here is the full transcript of my chat session with an O2 Guru with his permission...

Chat Start Time May 08 2015, 04:17:10 PM
Chat End Time May 08 2015, 04:50:08 PM
Duration (actual chatting time) 00:32:58
Operator O2 Guru – Anthony
Chat Transcript

info: Welcome to O2, someone will be with you soon.

info: You are through to O2 Guru – Anthony

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Hello, it's O2 Guru – Anthony here. I hope you're well. What can I do for you?

JOE: I received an iPhone Reminder today to discuss my overdue bill. It was not a text message. It was an iPhone Reminder added to my default Reminder list. Is this a new method of contacting iPhone users regarding overdue bills? In the past, I've received texts or voicemails. This was the first time I've ever had a Reminder added to my phone.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Okay, let me check your o2 account for this.

[I removed Data Protection Q&A.]

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Perfect.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Yes you have correct reminder for your bill and its set in your account for IPhone text reminder.

JOE: I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying that O2 has the ability to create a Reminder on my iPhone to alert me to an overdue payment? Again this is not a text message reminder, it's an iOS Reminder.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Yes, you will get reminder in this option also because apple will support and get update for bill in this option also.

JOE: Is this a setting I can see somewhere on my account? Is it on the My O2 site somewhere?

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: You using update IOS version this is the reason you will get reminder at your phone.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Do you want to close this reminder?

JOE: I'd like to see where the option is.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Its a internal feature.

JOE: May I ask what the option says? Is there a setting for text, iOS Reminder, voicemail, etc.?

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: But its good in case if you not able to get reminder on text and email you can check bill from here for payment.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Please check under IOS if you have option there you can switch that off.

JOE: Where do I find the option?

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Okay, I'll give you step.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Tap settings>>device>>notification.

JOE: OK

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: From there you can update all reminders.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Under Notification center.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Is there anything else I can help you with?

JOE: I'm afraid that doesn't answer my question.

JOE: I want to know HOW the Reminder was created. Which app created the Reminder? Is it the My O2 app?

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Joe, Its a phone internal feature when your phone get update with IOS version it will give you automatically update for bill and all.

JOE: OK, so I'm 100% clear...

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Okay.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Any thing else you want to know?

JOE: Because my iPhone has been updated to the latest software, you are saying that O2 has the ability to create an iOS Reminder in my default Reminders list and there is no way for me to disable this ability?

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Yes you are correct.

JOE: OK, one final question...I'm not asking you to do so, but would it be possible for someone to request this feature be disabled for their account but still receive the usual text message and voicemails to alert them of overdue balances?

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: No its not possible because when you set for o2 account system will set this reminder automatically.

JOE: OK, thanks for your help. I have a post at this address...may I have your permission to replicate our chat there to assist other users?

JOE: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-Reminder-for-overdue-bill/m-p/8761...

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: You can save this chat in your email.

JOE: Thank you. I appreciate your help today.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: You're welcome.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Is there anything else I can help you with?

JOE: No thank you.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: It was a nice chat with you, take care. Bye.

JOE: Goodbye.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY:
If you need to chat with us again, just click on this link: www.o2.co.uk/contactus Make sure you save it, we’re always happy to help.

O2 GURU – ANTHONY: Take care, Bye.

info: Joe has left the chat

Message 12 of 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
I'm not convinced he had the slightest clue what you were asking him tbh......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 55

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Pretty good I thought, it's a feature. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 14 of 55

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23040 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3668 Solutions

If you just set up a Direct Debit for the iPhone you won't get reminders for overdue bills. You would also have saved yourself all that time on Live Chat.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 15 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122772 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

If you just set up a Direct Debit for the iPhone you won't get reminders for overdue bills. You would also have saved yourself all that time on Live Chat.

My thoughts exactly @Bambino and perhaps another example of O2 NOT following up terms and conditions of contract phones

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 55

JoeH
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to be clear...the second phone (the one in question) is a SIM-only deal. The phone isn't on contract.

The first phone, which is paid by direct debit, is on contract.

Joe

Message 17 of 55

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You can still set up a DD for it though, if you wish to...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 55

JoeH
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, all, for the advice. I will most likely setup both phones for direct debit to make life easier.

As I mentioned before, the late bill is clearly my fault and responsibility. I just wanted to get to the bottom of why the Reminder showed up without my knowledge or approval. Unless, of course, it is buried somewhere deep in the T&Cs.

I use Reminders quite a bit and was surprised to see it. Whilst I agree it is an interesting way to communicate with customers (I'm all for innovation), I feel like this is a step too far since I wasn't previously made aware of this method. I view this the same as if they had dropped an appointment on my calendar with an alarm.

Text alerts and phone calls are perfectly fine. For some reason, though, this new method makes me uncomfortable. It's easy enough to delete (and paying the bill on time avoids the situation altogether), but I'm still glad to know that O2 has this ability. I'm hoping they will allow future customers to opt-out of this particular method of communication.

I appreciate all the replies.

Joe

Message 19 of 55

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Good luck and maybe we'll see you around in future?

Currently using:
Message 20 of 55