Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Freezing During Update

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I don't know if this is in the right thread, or if it should be in discussions, but I just wanted to mention something that recently happened.

My sister updated her iPhone to the latest software version and halfway through the phone froze.  Her phone was fully charged so it wasn't an issue with the phone running out of battery. My sister was worried that her phone was practically a brick now as it was not responding at all.  It was similar to when she dropped her old iPhone down the toilet.

I read through some Apple threads and most of the time the solution is to do a hard reset and hold the home and the top button.  We did that and abracadabra the phone turned itself back on again and the software update had already completed.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
A similar issue and some further advice here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-has-switched-itself-off-and-I-can-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144157 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
A similar issue and some further advice here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-has-switched-itself-off-and-I-can-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The reset is always the first thing to try with the iphone when things go wrong. Glad it sorted the phone out for you.

Message 3 of 5

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

MI5 - thanks for the link slight_smile

jonsie - I agree the reset usually works for issues, but I honestly did not think that it would help when it is in a kind of restore mode as I thought that the software on the phone would end up corrupted or something.

Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
This can sometimes happen if the update is carried out ota and theirs not enough storage on the iPhone.
Message 5 of 5