cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6s Plus - Issues with holding on to 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have recently (25 Sept) moved to O2 on the 30GB tariff with the iPhone 6s plus but noticed that in some areas (South London: around Barnes, Wandsworth Town and Putney) my phone is not getting on the 4G network and barely getting any data on 3G while commuting on the train. I have tried rebooting the phone and resetting the network settings but no luck. The funny thing is that my wife has 4G on O2 with her iPhone 5C next to me. I have checked and there are no issues reported in the areas and there should be good 4G coverage. Interestingly if I toggle 3G/4G in the settings it connects to 4G for a while but then drops back to 3G. In other areas of London (e.g. W1U) I have no issues with my 4G reception. When contacting CS I got advised that I can return my phone and cancel my contract within 14 days - strange that I seem to more concerned about finding a solution but leads me to believe that there might be some known issues at play CS doesn't want to disclose and/or cannot help with.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Call into an Apple store and get the phone checked by them first.
If faulty they will replace it, if not, it's a network / account issue so you need to get back onto CS for them to investigate it better.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 7

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Definately one for the Apple store, book in at the genius bar and they can run some diagnostics to check for any issues with the handset.

If you call Apple over the phone (as you have telephone support included) they can run them remotely also
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thaks for the suggestions. I tried Apple support and the remote diagnistics didn't find any issues so I'm going back to O2. If no solution by Monday I'll have to cancel my contract which would be a shame as otherwise I quite like O2.

Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's no good if the phone isn't holding onto a signal. Shame but you don't want to be tied into a contract and not use the phone to its capabilities. 

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thaks for the suggestions. I tried Apple support and the remote diagnistics didn't find any issues so I'm going back to O2. If no solution by Monday I'll have to cancel my contract which would be a shame as otherwise I quite like O2.

In that case I would cancel your contract and perhaps try another network in the areas where you use your phone the most and see how they perform.

I know its been mentioned on here that O2’s network is congested with all the upgrades on 4G going on, not really acceptable though for the people having issues.

I had poor performance on O2 for the best part of 12 months (getting kicked off of 3G at regular intervals, really slow data speeds). O2 were definitely the reason, as I don’t have these issues now since I switched network. In the end I decided to move as I was paying for a service that I couldn't use with the iPhone that I have.

Totally agree with what jonsie has said.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have that exact same problem with my iphone 6s. Clapham Junction, Wandsworth town, even my home in camberwell...absoloutely no hope. But with my iPhone 5c it has a strong connection. Went to the o2 store and they suggested a sim swap, that didnt work...

Message 7 of 7