cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6/ iOS8 video guides

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've decided to make some new video guides for iOS 8. Some will cover features on the iPhone 6 Plus too.

Here's the first which covers the extended keyboard on the iPhone 6 Plus and a demonstration of what the various keys are/do. I'll make some more video/written guides when I get a chance, how you find them useful slight_smile

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

In this video guide I show how to get the maximise feature back on Finder windows or in applications with the green dot.

Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've decided to make a written guide for this guide instead of the usual video guides, as I felt a written guide would be better for this particular guide.

1: Go into Settings (on your iPhone) then Messages. Scroll down till you see Send & Receive, touch this. In the 'You can be reached by iMessage at' section. Make sure you have the email address associated with your Apple ID/iCloud ticked. You need to have your email address turned on for iMessage on your iPhone in order to enable Text Message Forwarding. If you don’t, the numeric access code will not appear on your iPad or Mac during the setup process. As soon as you enable your email address for iMessage (you only need to do this on your iPhone) the numeric access codes appear. Once you have text message forwarding setup you can disable your email address again in iMessage (if you want to, you do not need to) as it seems to only be necessary for the numeric access code setup step, not the actual text message forwarding feature.

See the below screenshot for step #1:

IMG_0051.png

2: You can now go into Settings (on your iPhone) Messages and touch the Text Message Forwarding.

IMG_0052.png

3: You should see a list of all your devices linked to the Apple ID. Tap the one you want to send and receive messages to On.

IMG_0054.PNG

4: You should see a six-digit code appear on Messages on the Mac. And on the iPhone an alert window will appear marked Text Message Forwarding. Enter the six digit code displayed in Messages on the Mac into the alert window on the iPhone and tap Allow.

On Messages on Mac:

verification code.png

On Messages on iPhone:

verification code iphone.png

5: After you have clicked on Allow. You should be all setup. You will now be able to send and receive SMS messages on your Mac.

Basically with Yosemite. It will link your iOS devices together, providing they are all using the same Apple ID. The devices know when they are on the same network and Messages in Yosemite syncs all the text messages from the iPhone. So you get to see all the text messages alongside all your regular iMessages.

The beauty of this is, you can send and receive text messages with anybody directly using Messages on your Mac. Rather than having to go and find your iPhone, just for to send or reply to a message to/from a none Apple device (or for people who have iMessage turned off).

If you send a message from the Messages app on a Mac it first tries to send it as an iMessage, and if the person hasn’t got iMessage switched on (or isn’t using an Apple device) it then sends it as a regular Message. Yosemite doesn’t actually send the message itself, it directs the message via the iPhone to the person (and the message is synced on your iPhone and Mac). In light of this, if you don't have coverage on your iPhone, SMS Forwarding won't work (has I found out yesterday during a O2 outage in my area).

Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

In this video I show how you can use Spotlight Search to perform unit conversions in Yosemite.

Message 23 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

In this video, I show how to lock/prevent, the iPhone's screen from rotating when you turn it on its side.

Message 24 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

In this video I demonstrate the Share & Actions feature that is in iOS 8/various apps in iOS 8.

Message 25 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 26 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really good @Anonymous! A lot of work and dedication is going into this.... Fantastic

Message 27 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks you both slight_smile

Message 28 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for posting @Anonymous. I always learn better with the use of 'visual props' So any ediucational post which includes pictures or videos is excellent.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks for posting @Anonymous. I always learn better with the use of 'visual props' So any ediucational post which includes pictures or videos is excellent.

Yeah I learn better like that too. The thing with videos is, you can pause, go back if you are not sure of the step and try again. That's why (if possible) I always try and make a video guide.

Message 30 of 33