cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 Unlatched but no laptop with iTunes...

cardno4
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Had an email and text from o2 saying my iPhone 6 has been Unlatched and to complete the process I need to plug my iPhone with the new sim in into a laptop with iTunes and it will prompt me saying it is now unlocked.

The problem is I am selling the handset and have no laptop and also no sim as it won't be mine. I have erased all setting etc so if a buyer inserts a new sim do they then have to plug it into a laptop or should it start working straight away?

Help please!!
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

See apple support here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201328

Unlock your iPhone

First, your carrier will need to process your unlock request. Then you'll back up, erase, and restore your iPhone to unlock it.

Start the process:

1. See if your carrier offers unlocking. Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone.
  2. Contact your carrier and request an unlock. You might need to meet requirements to qualify for unlocking. After you submit the request to your carrier, it might take a few days to complete. Contact your carrier for the status of your unlock request.
  3. After your carrier confirms that your iPhone unlock has been processed, go to the next section.

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier, follow these steps:

1. Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card.
  2. Complete the setup process.

If you don't have another SIM card you can use, follow these steps to complete the process:

1. Back up your iPhone.
  2. When you have a backup, erase your iPhone.
  3. Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You don't need to connect to iTunes now. The phone should be unlocked. Easiest way to check is just to insert another sim from the other main networks. Free online.

Message 2 of 14

cardno4
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you Jonsie. So just stick in another sim from another provider and set up all straight from the handset?
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
When the new owner put a non o2 sim in it, it will complete the process.
Many iPhones are sold this way.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that you will find that if you put a new sim into the iPhone it will not work. You must connect to iTunes via a MacBook or PC  for it to unlock. The unlock code comes from Apples servers. 

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I think that you will find that if you put a new sim into the iPhone it will not work. You must connect to iTunes via a MacBook or PC  for it to unlock. The unlock code comes from Apples servers. 

Sorry but you are wrong.

The IMEI is whitelisted on Apples servers so as soon as the phone connects it recognises it as unlocked.

This process changed way back with iOS7 introduction.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I am pretty sure that if you switch FIND MY PHONE off so that the new owner can activate it with his own Apple ID and password he must put in a valid sim in the phone to activate it. 

If the phone has not been connected with iTunes, the new sim that the new owner puts in will not be valid. 

So I would say that you must connect it to a MacBook or PC and get the message from Apple about your phone being unlocked before you sell it, then reset it and make sure FIND MY PHONE  is switched off. 

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You have to turn off find my phone before you can reset the device anyway.
Trust me, iTunes is no longer needed.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

See apple support here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201328

Unlock your iPhone

First, your carrier will need to process your unlock request. Then you'll back up, erase, and restore your iPhone to unlock it.

Start the process:

1. See if your carrier offers unlocking. Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone.
  2. Contact your carrier and request an unlock. You might need to meet requirements to qualify for unlocking. After you submit the request to your carrier, it might take a few days to complete. Contact your carrier for the status of your unlock request.
  3. After your carrier confirms that your iPhone unlock has been processed, go to the next section.

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier, follow these steps:

1. Remove your SIM card and insert the new SIM card.
  2. Complete the setup process.

If you don't have another SIM card you can use, follow these steps to complete the process:

1. Back up your iPhone.
  2. When you have a backup, erase your iPhone.
  3. Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you are saying, but does not the above assume that the iPhone is already activated?

Do not forget the phone is being sold so will not be activated. 

To  be honest I am not 100% sure but one hears so much about iPhones that cannot be used. 

And the OP said that he will not be putting a sim in it before he sells it. 

I would very much encourage the OP to make sure it is unlocked before he sells it. 

Message 10 of 14