cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 6 - No Service when downstairs in my house but never had this problem with iPhone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

I upgraded my iPhone from 4 to 6 a few months ago. Since then I have contacted O2 several times as I notice a 'No Service' notice comes on. This is especially noticeable when I am downstairs in my house. Although I live in a low signal area, this never used to happen when I had the iPhone 4. When I see the 'No Service' notice, it means that calls won't connect (go straight to voicemail if incoming call), can't access voice mail and text messages don't transmit.

What has been tried so far as instructed by O2?

Checked signal in the local area and I'm told there are no known issues or significant changes made since I bought the phone.

Changed SIM - no improvement.

Checked that iPhone cover I'm using isn't interferring with signal....anyway, how could it be because only happens ad-hoc and mainly in one place? Removing cover makes no difference.

O2's conclusion is that I should write to Apple to ask for a handset change! That makes no sense either as problem is not happening everywhere or all the time.

I wonder if the change in tariff is having an impact on signal quality but even then how can it be happening more in one place than others?

HELP! Feeling lost on how to fix this as it is so frustrating that it was all ok when I had the iPhone 4 but not the case with what is supposed to be a better phone! Frustrating too with O2 that they are efficient when it comes to making a sale but no as interested at logically folloiwng through to help resolve an issue that follows (especially if the answer isn't obvious). I am feeling passed around from pillar to post and most of the explanations don't stack up! Has anyone else experienced the same and have you found a solution?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
It would be hard for O2 to really help in this issue as it is experienced by one user, if many people reported the same issue in the area then they would act, it would not be financially viable to look into it for one person, besides other than what they have actually already recommended what could they do? They're not going to send an engineer out.

Indoor coverage is always very subjective anyway, wall and building construction can effect signal strength along with various electronic devices in households, and in your contract O2 don't guarantee indoor coverage, and in really couldn't do so.

Signal coverage is also handset dependent. I remember when old Nokia's would hang on to the weakest of signals where modern devices (iPhones included) will drop out long before the signal gets so weak. Apple will have an algorithm on the iPhone which will decide at what point to display no service because there is either no coverage or it is too weak to provide a service. It is always possible (though unlikely) that Apple have a different algorithm for an iPhone 4 than they do for an iPhone 6, plus don't forget they are made from different materials

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122829 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
Message 2 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It might be worth getting the phone checked out by Apple, not O2. Different models can have significant changes in reception though your 6 does seem to have a fault if coverage hasn't changed.

In the meantime download TuGo for use over wifi until you get this resolved.

Message 3 of 18

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Definitely use Tugo it's a god send if it's working correctly. You can call and text using WiFi when you're out of signal range.

Message 4 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It might be because the iPhone 4 would only ever connect to 3G and possibly downstairs knocked back to 2g.
Last year there were posts regarding getting no service when the 6 knocked down from 4G to 3g and I suspect it's something along those lines.
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122829 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
It might be because the iPhone 4 would only ever connect to 3G and possibly downstairs knocked back to 2g.
Last year there were posts regarding getting no service when the 6 knocked down from 4G to 3g and I suspect it's something along those lines.

Huh...seems sensible....I suppose....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

MI5
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

Check it by turning 4g off - should just default to 3g then.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 18

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
It would be hard for O2 to really help in this issue as it is experienced by one user, if many people reported the same issue in the area then they would act, it would not be financially viable to look into it for one person, besides other than what they have actually already recommended what could they do? They're not going to send an engineer out.

Indoor coverage is always very subjective anyway, wall and building construction can effect signal strength along with various electronic devices in households, and in your contract O2 don't guarantee indoor coverage, and in really couldn't do so.

Signal coverage is also handset dependent. I remember when old Nokia's would hang on to the weakest of signals where modern devices (iPhones included) will drop out long before the signal gets so weak. Apple will have an algorithm on the iPhone which will decide at what point to display no service because there is either no coverage or it is too weak to provide a service. It is always possible (though unlikely) that Apple have a different algorithm for an iPhone 4 than they do for an iPhone 6, plus don't forget they are made from different materials
Message 8 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks - when you put it like that it makes sense. The most important bit for me is someone giving me an explanation that made sense and reassuring me that they had considered the issue seriously and there wasn't something being missed....stops you feeling fobbed off because it is a likely explanation and you feel listened too. Perhaps that's the greatest lesson for O2 in this. Appreciate your knowledge and explanation.
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
My iphone 4 was upgraded to 4G but I agree there is something about the functionality/tolerance level that probably has changed. Thank you!
Message 10 of 18